ZCar Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Parts are expensive. Try Motorsportauto and Blackdragon. Expect to pay a lot more than if you did the work yourself or found someone that knows how to work on the cars. You can still get parts at the local auto parts store also. You're going to spend thousands and even then it may not run right. Auto school students only learn modern stuff, they'll just hack around on an old car (see link below).

http://www.zcarparts.com/

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/

By the way, reposting the same thing without acknowledging prior responses just pisses people off.

http://www.zcar.com/forum/13-car-talk-forum/367769-needing-some-info-cost-fixing-280z.html
Sorry, I'm new to this site so I just figured reposting it would get more different replies. Thanks for the helpful input. :smile

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to agree with what has been said by the other responders to your question. I'm on the restoration of car #3 1980 280zx black & gold 10th anniversary and the only way that I can afford to do it is to do the majority of the work myself. I do all aspects of the restoration including welding, body work, electrical, mechanical work and interior work as well as the restoration of the multitude of parts. I really enjoy the process of learning and pushing myself to learn how to do more task and learn more about these cars!
I'm wanting to help with most of the labor just as a good learning experience and project. I just have to find the right people to do it with. There is a local club in town that I'm looking into that will give me more insight on the information I need.
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mechanics is the easy and cheapest part in a z....the hardest and most expensive is the body and interior. Without pictures I would say worst case 20k....best case 10k...it is always, always worse than it looks....

Example...seats dont look too bad....well dosesnt matter if they look like crap or just a few tears in the vinyl same cost to recover. Bumpers arent too bad...are you going to live with dull bumpers on a shiny new paint job or want them rechromed...

On a restoration if the part is not perfect or close to it you have to replace it. If you just want a car to drive around in then alot of things you can live with.

You have to decide what level you want. Go through the MSA catalog and start adding the parts up. Cost for parts x 2 if paying to install.

Body work ( good) is expensive, paint is expensive...not to deter you but I hate to see someone spend 5k on a car and then stop with a car that is in pieces and never gets finished and your 5 k gone..see it alot on cars.
So what's the MSA catalog? She is just looking to get it running again to drive it around town. The seats will always be covered anyway she loves the real sheep skin. The car at the moment can do without the paint or body work. It has a straight body. She just wants to run it around town again as her daily driver.
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the information. I figured draining the fluids first was the first thing to start. I just have to look up on how to do them. The site was helpful too.
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
My thing about people restoring cars is that they don't seem to have time to do it right the first time but always have time to do it a second time.
My situation was that instead of putting money into the car to keep it running the money was used to feed and pay my costly expenses through childhood. So, both couldn't be done with limited amount of resources. She always had said we were of more value to her than her car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Be careful. There are thousands, hundreds of thousands maybe, of professional mechanics out there who only know how to keep replacing parts until problems go away. Thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of dollars are wasted yearly, monthly?, maybe even daily, on good parts being replaced for no reason.

You'd be better off to find a mechanic who knows how to diagnose a problem, and knows how things work.
I'm going to look into the local z car club for their input as well. My cousin will attend school a few years down the road. I don't know the name of the school yet but I've been told it is very reputable I'll research it a lot more before I make my final decision. Also, I'm willing to do labor myself as a good learning project as well so I'd be more car knowledgeable with advice from local z folks of course. :smile

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sorry my friend it is so hard to know in advance how much is going to cost, it depends of so many things, depends how bad is the condition of the car, how much rust, how's the mechanic and electronics, shopping smart is extremely important, try to buy from local junkyards first, if you need body work buy the best bondo and the primer and paint you don't want saved here and have to redo in 6 month. I'm in the body shop business and I just got a260z with some rust and I have no idea how much i'll spend in my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sorry my friend it is so hard to know in advance how much is going to cost, it depends of so many things, depends how bad is the condition of the car, how much rust, how's the mechanic and electronics, shopping smart is extremely important, try to buy from local junkyards first, if you need body work buy the best bondo and the primer and paint you don't want saved here and have to redo in 6 month. I'm in the body shop business and I just got a260z with some rust and I have no idea how much i'll spend in my car.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts