ZCar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mom bought a 77 280z in 79 or 80 from the original owner. It was her daily driver until she had us kids. We all couldn't fit into it so it just sat for about 15 years so far. It ran when it was parked. She would like to restore but doesn't currently have the funds. Our cousin is going to attend a car mechanic school in California so all of the labor for her car will be paid for. It doesn't run and has been in the weather until this year when I threw three tarps on it knowing the rust was getting through the body. I'm wanting to know how much it would be just in parts to restore it. Please let me know if you need any more information before you have an estimate. If anyone of you is willing to give me an estimate amount we would know how much $$$ to shoot for! Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tough to give you an estimate without pics. If its rusting then you will be dollars ahead if you can find a rust free donor car in Arizona or Texas.

I restore cars all the time. My rule is assign yourself a budget and times it by 3. Just when you think things are ok, you remove the carpet and find the floorpans are rotted out. Its stuff like this that adds to the cost dramatically.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mechanics is the easy and cheapest part in a z....the hardest and most expensive is the body and interior. Without pictures I would say worst case 20k....best case 10k...it is always, always worse than it looks....

Example...seats dont look too bad....well dosesnt matter if they look like crap or just a few tears in the vinyl same cost to recover. Bumpers arent too bad...are you going to live with dull bumpers on a shiny new paint job or want them rechromed...

On a restoration if the part is not perfect or close to it you have to replace it. If you just want a car to drive around in then alot of things you can live with.

You have to decide what level you want. Go through the MSA catalog and start adding the parts up. Cost for parts x 2 if paying to install.

Body work ( good) is expensive, paint is expensive...not to deter you but I hate to see someone spend 5k on a car and then stop with a car that is in pieces and never gets finished and your 5 k gone..see it alot on cars.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
A quality paint job is $15K all by itself.

What do you mean by "restore?" A completely restored S30 that will win trophies will cost $40k to $60k to complete, if not more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My thing about people restoring cars is that they don't seem to have time to do it right the first time but always have time to do it a second time.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mechanics is the easy and cheapest part in a z....the hardest and most expensive is the body and interior. Without pictures I would say worst case 20k....best case 10k...it is always, always worse than it looks....

Example...seats dont look too bad....well dosesnt matter if they look like crap or just a few tears in the vinyl same cost to recover. Bumpers arent too bad...are you going to live with dull bumpers on a shiny new paint job or want them rechromed...

On a restoration if the part is not perfect or close to it you have to replace it. If you just want a car to drive around in then alot of things you can live with.

You have to decide what level you want. Go through the MSA catalog and start adding the parts up. Cost for parts x 2 if paying to install.

Body work ( good) is expensive, paint is expensive...not to deter you but I hate to see someone spend 5k on a car and then stop with a car that is in pieces and never gets finished and your 5 k gone..see it alot on cars.
Not much to disagree with here. I'd say the body and chassis condition are of greatest importance. If the body OR chassis are rusted out, bag the idea and move on to another Z or another project.

If the body and chassis are both in decent condition, then figure at least $10K. And that's with a serviceable but not high end paint job. AND - if you can do much of the mechanical work YOURSELF.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Needing some info for the cost of fixing a 280z

I'm wanting to make my Mom's car (77' 280z) that's been sitting for the past 20 years drivable again. It ran when it was parked. It is outside and has been in the weather since then. My Mom is ok with the body not being painted at this point. She just wants it to run again. She didn't have the money to put into it at the time because us kids came first.
My cousin is planning on going to a big mechanic school in Cali they will just charge the cost of the parts to replace it with. How much would just parts cost? What 280z catalogs would you recommend for me to get an idea of the cost of parts. What would you look at/need replaced first since it's sat for soooo long?
Any information would be extremely appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
First, d/l a manual at xenonsS30 dot com for the year model. It will give you the names of the components, at least. Then, depending on what components are required, you can shop and price them out yourself. No telling right now what you need. And the first thing I would do is drain the gas tank, and the rest of the fluids, get a new battery, and start fresh.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
My cousin is planning on going to a big mechanic school in Cali they will just charge the cost of the parts to replace it with. How much would just parts cost?
Be careful. There are thousands, hundreds of thousands maybe, of professional mechanics out there who only know how to keep replacing parts until problems go away. Thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of dollars are wasted yearly, monthly?, maybe even daily, on good parts being replaced for no reason.

You'd be better off to find a mechanic who knows how to diagnose a problem, and knows how things work.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Restorations can be costly, depending on what you want to do. To fully restore a zcar with factory parts can be quite expensive, then if you decided to performance upgrade get ready to spend significant cash on the project. John is correct, My first bout with the restoration was 40K and I did NOTHING to the running gear to speak of. Then it got expensive from there, so here I am am with the last of the upgrades to the car, and its time for another paint job, LOL frickin frackin rick and racking car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
280z-to make it drivable again

My Mom has a 77' 280z that she bought a couple of years after it came out. It was her daily driver until too many kids came along so it sat uncovered for the past 20 years without being started. She isn't worried about the body at this moment she just wants it to mechanically run sound. I've downloaded the manual but I don't know a lot about cars myself. We live in Oregon. I've looked at the underside and the rust is not completely gone through that I can tell. I'm just wondering how much just parts would be for it. What website would you guys recommend to order parts from? Where would I start form here?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Parts are expensive. Try Motorsportauto and Blackdragon. Expect to pay a lot more than if you did the work yourself or found someone that knows how to work on the cars. You can still get parts at the local auto parts store also. You're going to spend thousands and even then it may not run right. Auto school students only learn modern stuff, they'll just hack around on an old car (see link below).

http://www.zcarparts.com/

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/

By the way, reposting the same thing without acknowledging prior responses just pisses people off.

http://www.zcar.com/forum/13-car-talk-forum/367769-needing-some-info-cost-fixing-280z.html

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
JeffP has friends that call him and inform him of the latest upgrades and he's been heard to say things like "$2,259 isn't bad for that turbo."

And in the next breath say "Every time I talk to you it costs me $2,000!"

Fat Tony's Law of Automotive Restoration:
"A car is a hole in midair, suspended there by four doughnuts.
Doughnuts made of rubber, which you can not eat.
Into this hole, you will throw buckets of money, which will never be seen again."

This one has run through about $15,000 since August 2014.... But I'm gonna be stylin', Homes!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
It's stainless steel, buffed.

I know you were going to ask...:grin

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Yes, the entire body, including the roof.

Complete re manufacturing of the entire chassis works.

It started like this:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
You thnk YOU got "electrical problems"?
Maybe JeffP can make some heavy duty 24:12V Converters for this thing!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have to agree with what has been said by the other responders to your question. I'm on the restoration of car #3 1980 280zx black & gold 10th anniversary and the only way that I can afford to do it is to do the majority of the work myself. I do all aspects of the restoration including welding, body work, electrical, mechanical work and interior work as well as the restoration of the multitude of parts. I really enjoy the process of learning and pushing myself to learn how to do more task and learn more about these cars!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Parts are expensive. Try Motorsportauto and Blackdragon. Expect to pay a lot more than if you did the work yourself or found someone that knows how to work on the cars. You can still get parts at the local auto parts store also. You're going to spend thousands and even then it may not run right. Auto school students only learn modern stuff, they'll just hack around on an old car (see link below).

http://www.zcarparts.com/

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/

By the way, reposting the same thing without acknowledging prior responses just pisses people off.

http://www.zcar.com/forum/13-car-talk-forum/367769-needing-some-info-cost-fixing-280z.html
Thanks for the BIG help. I'll continue researching to see what price estimate I can come up with.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
First, d/l a manual at xenonsS30 dot com for the year model. It will give you the names of the components, at least. Then, depending on what components are required, you can shop and price them out yourself. No telling right now what you need. And the first thing I would do is drain the gas tank, and the rest of the fluids, get a new battery, and start fresh.
Thanks for the big help! You've given me a start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A quality paint job is $15K all by itself.

What do you mean by "restore?" A completely restored S30 that will win trophies will cost $40k to $60k to complete, if not more.
She just is wanting to drive it around town in her golden years. The paint and interior doesn't need to be done at the moment. It's the mechanics that I'm looking to get done at this point.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts