ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put up a post last page about my alternator not charging on my 74 260...

I've got a brand new battery, a brand new alternator, and a brand new voltage regulator. The shunt checks out fine, though I think thats just for the gauge, right? None of my gauges work yet anyway. Fusible links fine, connections are fine... The engine starts great, but everything electrical keeps getting dimmer, and dimmer... and when I pull the battery cable while the car is running the engine dies. I checked pretty much all you guys said in my last post, but it's still the same. What am I doing wrong?

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP?????? I think I just might be going CrAzY!!!

Thanks you guys!!

Shayne

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
BEWARE....

Aftermarket rebuilt alternators !!!
My experience has been VERY bad with these.

Had yet another one fail the other day. Out in East Outer Butt Nugget the other day, almost 5pm, found another rebuild at a local Car Quest. Put 'er in, fire 'er up, and EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE w/ major blue smoke from belt pulley. The bitch would spin by hand but lock up under belt drive. Put me old one back in and LO AND BEHOLD, just enough voltage to make it there. Not stuck in East Outer Butt Nugget waiting for the sun to rise!

Got me a Nissan remanufactured alternator (same price ~$65 as Car Quest BTW) and put 'er in. Looking good so far. (Replaced VR w/ OEM unit a few months ago. Nice Hitachi w/ screw adjustments on two coils - not bent tabs. About ~$35, if I recall.)

Recommend taking alterantor and volt reg to a real auto electrical shop for bench testing.

Also, check your plug connectors at VR and at field of alterantor. These may need cleaning and tightening-up.

You got good electrical strap between chassis ground and engine ground?

Good luck!
Al

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: BEWARE....

Yeah, I've heard some pretty rough stories on rebuilt stuff... I guess my only option would be to take all the stuff in and have it tested... lord knows how long that will take, but I suppose it's about my last option... sh*t. Yeah, I got a good strap between the engine and chassis... Ugh... I wanna drive the car!! waaaaahhh!!! hehe... thanks, Al

Shayne

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

I've swapped alternators three times in ten days. Down to about 30 minute operation. 40 minutes including a/c belt on/off to change belts.

Oh my aching back!
Sure is nice to have bright lights again (it's been a while).
Working on 110A alternator rebuild. Let ya all know when I get that together.
--------- Al

·
Registered
571 Posts

Looks like we all have done this test at least once.
But without a battery to maintain a load to curtail your voltage you may get higher voltage. I never checked this but I read it someplace.

MooooooHahahahahaha
Hollywood, Fl

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
you dont want to pull the battery cable off the batter when the car is running
your voltage can spike way up and burn out another voltage regulator or
sensitive electronics inside the car. Fuel injected z's are especially vulnerable
to excessive voltage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.