ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been a Z lover, every sinse I was little. Specially the older ones, 240's and the rare 260's. I look at them and then look at Porches, they kind of have a similar look but I would take a 240 any time. I recently got money and really got interested; I have been searching around looking. I have been studding up on the engines and all that great stuff but I'm not really sure what to look for when buying one. I herd that you have to be careful about the back ends because they are Unibody? And if they are damaged in any way that the whole chasse could be fragile or so... I'm not sure if that is true because I read about it or someone told me, don’t' remember. Could someone please give me help, tips, whatever on buying a 240, what to look for and what not? Thanks...Matt

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
The main thing to watch out for is rust. Watch for cars from Cal and AZ anywhere they don't salt roads. Rockers, frame rails and under battery tray are some of the main places to look... You can look for a cheap Z but you will prob spend more bringing it back to the shape of a higher priced well maintained one. Match numbers on motor to VIN. You can try most sites like this one under autos for sale and try zdriver.com, hybridz.org and others or check out the Z Clubs which will let members post cars and parts. Also check ebay.com search for Datsun then click on highest price first and they float to the top of the list... There is a 280Z there now that claimes 73K on the Speedo! It does look clean in the dark pictures....

Clubs like mine can save you 20% with MSA... BTW

check out the Z-Links and jump to some of the other ZCCA sites

http://www.z-sport.com/

Z U V8ter

·
Registered
741 Posts
I was very fortunate to find one in as good a shape as mine is. I have a 72 240. It is getting hard to find a good 240, and the 260s are rare as well. The main thing that you have to look for is Rust. Under the floorboards and under the battery are two suceptible spots. Look at the fenders and the rocker panels. I doubt you will find a 240 or 260 with no rust. Just make sure it is surface rust and not severe.

Another thing you might want to consider is getting a pre-73 model. In 73 they had to start conforming to emmision controls. They stopped using the SU carbs which were very good all around carbs. The weight also went up on the 73. It is usually best to look for a 72 because it had the most time to be refined before the emmissions constraints in 73.

Others on this board probably have etter advice. That is just what I found when buying mine. Also check http://www.zhome.com. They have a buying guide for looking for a good 240

·
Registered
685 Posts
Matt, Its not the 240s but all the Z cars they all have unibody construction. Rust is the big thing with these cars because there all sheet metal , thats what uni-body is, no frame, You need to look for rust especially under the car , from the firewall back, The 260 at least here in Ore in not rare just a 240 with bad carbs. From 74 on the 280 engine and injection is what you will find. Its all in what you feel you can work on . For me I wanted to keep it simple and bought a 73 . I added an electronic ignition from a 79 , and SU carbs ,[round top on the carbs] . Runs like a watch and goes like a mashed cat . Good luck Gary Portland . Ore. P.S. if you can look for a car in an area that does not use salt on the roads . the west coast is a great source. dont tell any body.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Matt,
I thought you might like to know that rust free Z's do exist. I have finished completely dissasembling my 72 240Z and there is no rust anywhere! I bought it off of this site from a guy for $3500 in Eastern Washington. Just be patient and climb all over, under, and inside the car. Lift up the carpet, look in the spare tire well. Pay close attention to rusting of the firewall (bad). Rusted front fenders can be replaced- rear ones can not (requires cutting and welding in new metal). Recently sprayed undercoating can be hiding rust- thump on suspect areas with something metal to check if it's solid. Rust likes to hide on the inside of the bumpers (not a huge deal- bumpers can be replaced easily). These are the things I looked for when I was Z shopping. I too would recomend getting a 72 if your going to buy a 240Z. I don't think 260's are all that rare- they sold a lot of them in their one year. Happy Z hunting!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.