ZCar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am about to purchase a 73 240z with 60k miles on it. The carwas garage kept looks to have no rust on it, but the only downside to this 240 is that it has a automatic transmission in it.
I just just curious if you guys could give me some recommendations as to what kind of mods I could do to the car.
My plan for the car is that I would like to put a 2jz or a ls1 in it at some point down the line and put a Pandem Aero kit on it. I don't really have plans to drag it but could be a possibility. Off the bat when I get the car I am willing to spend around 4-5k and well 4k for the body kit i would like to get the car to where I think it should be but I just don't know enough about the 240z to know what normally goes wrong with them. If you guys could help me out and give me some recommendations as to what you think I should do and what needs or recommend to be replaced or upgraded thanks a lot hope I made sense lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
It sounds like it is a pretty original, unmolested 240. My suggestion is to keep it that way and focus on making it a reliable, well mannered representation of an original Z. That's where you'll see the most value as well. If it were me and I wanted to mod a Z, I would look for a 240/260/280 that has already been cut up enough that it's lost it's originality. At that point, there's not a lot of guilt associated with throwing in an aftermarket engine, racing seats, coil-overs, flares, etc... But, I admit, I'm sentimental about the Z and I hate seeing another good 240 going under the knife.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,709 Posts
If you have an original '73 Z in good condition, ANY change you make to it will cost you a a thousand dollars or more in resale value, and the deduce goes up fast. If you look at these online, you'll find that they are worth a lot of money. Values for a clean, nice car probably start at $15,000 and go up.

IMO the only things to do with a clean '73 are to make sure the entire car is in great shape, restore or preserve the interior, and repaint in the original color if you are forced to. If you mod anything, save the original parts and DO NOT make any changes which require body mods or any other non-reversible changes. You should be able to present the car to a buyer with the original parts and they should be able to return it to stock with no visible change. That means you can update shocks, suspension and wheels without problems if the car can be restored easily.

It's your car and you can make mods involving holes in the body or other permanent changes if you want to, but you may be costing yourself many thousands of dollars in resale value.

If you want a fast car by today's standards, an early Z is not it. A later Z is faster and less worth money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts