ZCar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 300ZX 2+2 NA. turbo auto trans swap
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I used to be on the forum probably close to 8-9 years ago and am not sure of my old account details so I figured I would create a new one, and boy does this place look different hahah. I have owned a 300zx the same amount of time. back then I was young and pretty clueless about what I was doing. But I remember that I had nothing but transmission issues and ended up parking it. It has now been sitting for probably 7 years at least. When the car was working though it was a straight blast to drive. and you never saw anyone else in one.

I have now got the itch to see about getting it going, now that I am older and have some more resources.

So here is my plan let me know if its a bad idea and I will just sell it.
I want to at least see if I can get it running and driving again. once I am done with that a 5 speed swap would fun. I figure the interior is toast and I am not concerned about that. I know this will most likely just be a fun car. But after that I don't know what else I could do with it. is a twin turbo swap even worth it.? is the 5 speed swap a waste? I guess I just don't know what my options are.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,774 Posts
"Worth it" is defined by whether you want to go to the time, work and trouble. That's something only you can answer.

My suggestion would be to consider either having the tranny rebuilt, or finding a similar one from another Z-car and installing it.

You can install a manual tranny, but it's going to take time and finding parts. It's a better DIY job than hiring someone.

You may get other ideas, but to me it boils down to whether you want to tackle the project or not.

·
Registered
95 300ZX 2+2 NA. turbo auto trans swap
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@pilgrim Thank you for the response.

yea I am wanting to do everything myself. I finally have the space that I can actually work on projects now.
when I bought it the PO had already put a TT auto trans in it. and in the time that I had it the trans went out twice. I don't really ever remember smelling burnt fluid I just know that the trans would stop engaging. Like RPMs would not drop when put in gear and would not move at all when you pressed the gas. So it may have been a completely different problem and I was looking at the wrong thing.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,774 Posts
That raises the question of whether the transmission was properly chosen or installed, but that's probably moot at this point.

Maybe someone here knows whether there are ECU connections to the manual tranny, If not, then it's a fairly straightforward set of mechanical tasks to swap transmissions, make the needed floor hole, install pedals, add the clutch circuit, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts