ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I keep reading about trouble codes and I read the service manual about where the ECCS is and how to run the self test. I see the lights, but is the screw on top? Do I have to pull the **** thing out to run the tests so I can get to the screw? Getting it out will be a chore and seems a lot less useful if you have to pull it all the way out every time you need to do anything with it.

I know my car runs like crap, it would be nice to run the self test to at least get an idea of where to start rather than replacing everything. Thanks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
when ever i do the self test on my 88, i pull the pass side kick panel (below the dash) then i think there is one 10mm bolt holding the ecu in place.. remove that and pull the ecu out far enough to see the top.... the screw is on top i believe.. its kind of tucked into the ecu.. but visible.. be very gentle.. hope this helps.. its not that hard to do.. just be gentle with the ecu.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't try too hard, but the big red clamp holding the back made it look like it would be a little more work than that. I removed the 2 crews holding it to the body, but I couldn't get it to come out enough to get to the top without removing the door sil plate, pulling the carpet back, pulling all the plugs, then pulling it about 3 to 4 inches out to clear the clamp in the back.

If I have to do this more than once, it looks like it would be easier to buy a second one to plug in for testing. Is that the case?

·
Registered
104 Posts
you are making a bigger deal of this then it needs to be just remove the screws and the carpet trim then pull back on the clamp that holds it in jeesh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.