ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just set (or at least tried to set) my ignition timing at 800 rpm. Car seems to like idling there, so what can i do. Question is: is the timing light supposed to be exactly the same for every rotation, or will it vary by a few milimeters every turn? For me, it moves a little bit either left or right. I've adjusted the distributor, but all i do is either more it left or right, but it still jumps a little. Knowing my luck, that is probably not right, but I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Also, what is the best way to detect a vacuum leak?

Thanks

Post Edited (Nov 10, 6:05pm)

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
It should stay pretty even. When I did my timing, it oscillated a tiny bit, but not a few millimeters either way as you say. If its oscillating a lot i'd bet its from a vacuum leak.
they can be hard to track down, but look at the ends of all stiff vacuum lines for cracks. and all the soft ones, look to make sure they still have a good seal where they attach.
use soapy water with bubbles on end of vacuum lines to see if the bubbles are getting sucked in. thats one way to check.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the distributor adjustment bolt was tightened, so it wasnt moving any, unless i was adjusting it.

I will be looking for a vac leak after I get out of work tomorrow...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.