ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other night i was starting my car and the it turned to the on position, then it locked into place i could not turn the key in any direction at all, but the key came out like it was in the off position, so now the ignition switch is stuck in the on position. I'm thinking the ignition switch is toast but, any thing will be helpful, um also is there any trick to pulling the switch out of the colume.

thanks for the help all

drewfen

·
Registered
42 Posts
I assume you know that giving the steering wheel a hard turn one direction or the other will relieve pressure on the ignition lock. Good luck

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you plan on buying a new switch instead of junkyard diving find yourself a good locksmith that does a lot of work for auto dealers. There is a company in Wa. state that sells auto locks that are a fraction of the cost of buying from MSA or Victoria British. My locksmith rekeyed my door and hatch locks to one key after I bought new door locks from MSA. He could have gotten me the door locks at 1/3 what I paid MSA for them.

Also, if the ZX is like the Z then the lock is held on by 4 screws. Two can be removed with a screw driver but the other two have to be drilled out(an anti-theft system, LOL).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea found those screws, and the ones that ive got to drill out, the problem now is that the dash is in the way so i cannot get the drill to those two screws. So i figured that it would be easier to remove the steering column instead of the dash, and just put the drill press to them. I didn't think about the locksmith though after i get it off i'll check into that and see what he can do.

thanks

drewfen

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same problem a couple weeks, two days in row. I just fiddled with it for a bit and got it to turn.
I'm assumed that the lock cylinder and pins are dirty or full of dirt since I live on a dirt raod.
I took out the lock (didn't have any problems doing that on my 76')and cleaned it works good now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
save your self some trouble and epoxy or jb weld two small nuts to the 2 bolts that you think you have to drill out.when you put them back in tighten till they break off.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Easy way to access the ignition switch and screws, the FIRST time, (when you have to remove the shear bolts).

A. Remove the steering column cover / shroud.
B. If you require it (due to size of hands) remove turn signal switch and Headlight / W. Wiper Switch. Leave connected since you won't be working with these.
C. Disconnect wiring connector to Ignition Switch.
D. Tighten, (yes tighten) the NON-SHEAR bolts. (this relieves pressure from the Shear Bolts.
E. Using a Dremel, and preferably a Flex Cable, grind a small hole in the head of the Shear bolts.
F. Using either JB Weld or some other STRONG adhesive, Glue on another screw that has a head you can turn, phillips, metric, cap your choice.
G. Let it sit and cure, then using the new screw head, unscrew the shear bolts.
F. Discard old shear bolts. If you're an orthodox purist go get new shear bolts. (Note: you'll be going through all this again if you install them properly, the next time you need to do this.) If you're not, replace shear bolts with the appropriate size screw or cap screw.

ALTERNATELY.

A. Remove the steering column cover / shroud.
B. Check to make sure you have enough play in the wiring harness connections going to the Headlight and Turn Signal switch so that you can lower the Steering Column. If ok, Go To C otherwise disconnect wiring and relocate out of the way.
C. Drop the Steering Column, there are 4 bolts located just behind the Instrument Panel.

D. Drill out completely or enough to use an EZ-out on the shear bolts.
E. If you're an orthodox purist (pun! no offense intended {Political Correctness Requirement}) go get new shear bolts. (Note: you'll be going through all this again if you install them properly, the next time you need to do this.) If you're not, replace shear bolts with the appropriate size screw or cap screw.

For what it's worth.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Heres what I did a couple days ago. Use a sharp chisel and hammer to make a slot in the soft aluminum shear cap bolt. The use a regular flat screw driver and unscrew the bolt. I used a spare ignition switch from a 77, took to a locksmith and he made 2 keys to original for $20. I'm gonna take in all the other locks and have them matched for [email protected] .
Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.