ZCar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the old ignition on my 1983 280ZX it had 2 extra wires, when I bought a new ignition it didn't have the wires for those 2 from the car, the starter relay clicks but it does not turn over the motor. Are those wires for antitheft purposes? and where can I get my hands on a Ignition switch?

· Registered
2,841 Posts
You're leaving out a lot of details here.
There should be five wires on the ignition switch.
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Pattern

How many wires do you have, and what colors are they?

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Red/blue should be for the key lamp.
Why did you replace the ignition switch?
Do you know how to use a multimeter?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Red/blue should be for the key lamp.
Why did you replace the ignition switch?
Do you know how to use a multimeter?
sorry for the delayed response, I forgot to connect the P lead to the spade on the starter and that's why my starter was not working. and that's where my question about the two wires came from. for some context I had to change the ignition switch because I bought my 280ZX from my neighbor and he lost his keys to the car so I had to basically brake into the car to even get into it. when I bought my ignition switch from Z-car depot they sent me an ignition switch from a regular S30 280Z instead of the S130 280ZX on new ignition switch it did not have the two wires that the old one had but the plug from the car fit the pins just fine. once I connected the P lead on the spade of the solenoid it worked just fine, however the starter only worked for maybe 4 or so key turns then the solenoid just decided to quit working and the starter gear just keeps spinning in the housing without actually kicking out and engaging the fly wheel. I got an AC Delco remanufactured starter.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
I thought it might be something like that. It was probably going to be in the diagnostics that I would have given you if you know how to use a meter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.