ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the transistor ignition module in my 1974 260Z and the replacement has failed. Any suggestions on solving the problem?

·
Registered
32 Posts
buying another one seems like its too obvious..... I am kidding

Are you sure that its the module thats failing and not something else in the ignition system?

Loose shaft in the Dizzy causes wierd shorts from what I have been told.
Ignition coil breaking down under load and losing spark.

Just make sure its actually the module before you replace it again.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Deek

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey, I think you are in luck... I have a early 74 260z, but I did not have this problem, I just wanted to get rid of all those expensive parts. I installed the GM HEI Ignition Module and now my car runs like a dream and the module only cost $19 bucks. I got the info out of the archives in this here site...

If you cannot find it, e-mail me at home and I will send the directions to you.

·
Registered
972 Posts
What ignition coil are you using? Do you still have the ballast resistor in place? The stock module can't properly handle high output coils, or the removal of the ballast resistor.

ConorP

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
250k miles...

on my 260 ignition module. Now running w/ MSD PS-90 (I think) coil and stock ballast resistor. (Good spare module w/ 200k miles under seat, jus case o emergency.)

Induction pick-up in dizzy said to be possible source of intermittant dieing syndrome. Coils can be flakey, too.

Probably need to verify wiring and connector integrity also.

OEM replacement 260 ign module is like $600 bucks! Don't go there. GM replacement sounds like much more reasonable option.

good luck!
Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.