ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, I still got ignition problems. I put an 83 zxt engine into a 72 240z a complete swap (almost everything), electronically everything. I drove the 83 before (it was a little tweeked from being rolled) I made the swap. After the swap no spark from the coil. I have power everywhere, but no spark!!! Could the cpu be bad, it sat on a shelf for 3 to 4 months with no power. A friend suggetsed that it lost it's memory (I never heard of this). Give me some advise!!!! Please, I would like to drive the little rocket. Does anyone think an ignition up-grade would help the cause??? or should I get it running first. What ignition works best on this engine (83 zxt) and why???

hve some bugs,
Mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am not sure about the turbo model but if this were an N/A engine I would suspect the ignition module. As I recall, the ignition circuit has nothing to do with the EFI computer except for the electronic advance. You should get spark even if the electronic advance isn't working.

The Ign Module is expensive so be sure to check everything else first. There is a procedure in the Haynes manual which I have used and it will take you through the whole ignition system. Following this procedure, the last test you make tells you if it's a bad ignition module by eliminating everything else.

Hope this helps.

Bob A.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is in the ign. module I did the same this a compleat swap and all was ok but no spark. i had swap a 83 for a 78 and the 78 did not have an ign. module on did just a few relays on the firewall, I put my old dist.on with I ign.module from the 83 and fired right up. i am pretty surre in is not in your comp.
ewasy dist. swap. takes 2 min.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.