ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'd work on engine performance and handling because thats all i care about, but to each his own

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Mechanical fist, then if the interior is super bad I'd do it next, followed by exterior. If the interior is daily driver quality then I'd do the exterior before the interior.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was thinking about doing performance first, then the interior then exterior. the exterior is pretty decent. ill have pictures up in about an hour. still working on my site. the engine hasnt really been touched. everything is soo dirty and greasy. also the interior is ok i guess. the previous owner has carpet to cover almost everything. the dashboard is cracked nearly in thirds. the thing about the engine though is i know nothing about engines. thats why im trying to learn. any suggestions on what i should do first?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i want to try and do the engine first before anything. the website wont be up until probably tomorrow. i am really exhausted and ive got school tomorrow too. if anyone has any suggestions about how i should do the engine plz e-mail them to me at [email protected] thanks in advance. any and all help is appreciated!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well i would stop all rust ASAP, no matter how **** and patchy it makes the car look, its a nice feeling knowing its not rotting out from underneath you, then i would concentrate on handle then performance then exterior.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
If I were you I would buy a 240 and use the 280zx parts on the 240. hehehe.

Good luck with your resto. It will be a long, hard, educational, expensive, and rewarding experience.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Most do mechanical, then exterior, then never do interior.

If your geting some stuff from the J. Yard, you need to know what you
need for your interior, while your getting your other parts,

So do interior and mechanical....then paint.

Or best way is to completly take the car apart in the garage, and do over
a 10 year period.

Anyway you do it, its alot of work !!!!!!!!! Have fun.
but keep a good attitude. Its a blast when you finally get it completed
and take it out for a drive. Park it in a walmart parking lot away from
the other cars, and watch the car nuts walk over and look at it. thats
always fun.
Charles

·
Registered
212 Posts
consensus seems to be mechanical, exterior, interior, and i'll buy that for a dollar..

if youre really clueless about what to do to start, heres a good thorough tune-up procedure to get you going:
change spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor and wires. this makes sure youve got good spark going in, and thats step one. then get a bottle of good fuel injector cleaner, and run it through a tank of gas. then maybe repeat. change your air filter immediately, or install a K&N cone on it. that is the first recommended bolt-on upgrade. your engine is essentially a gigantic air pump that is powered by the combustion of the fuel in the cylinders; so any impedance on airflow is going to dampen performance. go ahead and take the plumbing apart from the air filter up to the intake manifold, and clean clean clean.. after 25 years or so, lots of gunk builds up in the line there.. use carb cleaner or even gasoline, they should dissolve any deposits in there easily. an old toothbrush helps too..

speaking of gunk, if you really want to clean your engine bay get a couple of cans of gunk at a parts shop. this is a foaming engine cleaner.. just spray it on (with engine cold) let it sit and spray it off. that will clean alot of exterior dirt that just keeps the car from looking pretty under the hood.

change your fuel filter. it probably needs it. oil and oil filter too. (duh)

another quick and cheap "upgrade" that is probably not the most legal thing to do would be to take off your catalytic converter and stick a big screwdriver through it. totally gut the thing out, so its a free-flowing chamber. as i said, the authorities probably wont like this, so perform at your own discretion....

the first and foremost thing to keep in mind when beginning to play with your Z-car is to think of that inline six as an air pump, and set up the intake and exhaust with as little resistance to airflow as possible... any work done on the cylinder head (porting, polishing, bigger valves, etc) is done to increase airflow, AND smoothness of airflow.... if the air has to go around jagged edges, or faces strange obstacles, it will not flow as easily. this is why most people make sure that any meeting between two components results in a good flush mating of surfaces, creating a smooth channel for the air to flow through.

hope this helps, its alot of reading but its a digest of what gets learned in the first few years coming up from ignorance. always remember this.. its a Z, so its worth it :- )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.