ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking, about all of the unknowns associated with buying used TT's (how hard were they run, maintenence, engine/turbo conditions). I think I would definitely get a 94 or 95 (all the kinks and unnecessary equipment removed by then), I would find a completely stock version, which would mean more than likely the owner was satisfied with performance and wasn't pushing it all of the time. After purchasing the car, regardless of mileage, I would pull the engine down to the block and have it balanced/honed, whatever. New pistons, rods, and gaskets. All new sensors, wiring harness, and full 120K kit, and turbos. That way, I have basically just warrantied my car for 60K miles with piece of mind.

Surprised that more people don't go that route when purchasing a new TTZ, but I guess most wanna jump right in and mod it. The extra 4K worth of parts seems like an easy way to prevent wear-induced failure.

On that note, anyone wanna loan me the 12K for the TT, then another 4K for the engine revamp?!! lol

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
why would you go through the trouble of biying a possibly low mileage, unmolested/unmodified Z just to tear the engine down? Would it not make more sense to find one that NEEDS the engine to have all that work done to it and save a ton of $$$$ on the initial purchase?

Sorry, just not following the rationale.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well mileage on most 94-95's is pushin the 100K mark. Why not ensure that someone hasn't been putting 87 octane in it and making it a stoplight warrior.

Secondly, the main reason I mentioned unmodified, is so that I wouldn't have to deal with removal/fixing of any inerior or exterior "improvements" they decided to make. (body kits, paint, ugly rims, rediculous sub enclosures, torn up dash)
I just think that extra money spend on ensuring the investment seems like it'd be worthwhile to me. Knowing that the engine is in pretty much all respects new.

It'd also make it easier to upgrade engine compnents all at once, instead of little by little each time you pull the engine, or do maintnence. (TB bypass, downpipes, EGR removal, ECU, any chroming/painting in engine bay) Do it all at once, save the tim and the frusteration.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol, well I probably wouldn't do it if it only had 40K or less. But at the 100K mark, thats 10 years of wear-n-tear that I don't get out of it!

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, well my '95 NA Z has 93K on it, I . But the NA's usually don't get pushed as hard as the TT's. The engine isn't under the same conditions as the TT'd ones either. I don't think I would consider rebuilding an NA unless it just had problems, or was 200K.

I don't think modifying the NA is worth it anyway, so you're not investing as much in it. Aside from lightweight flywheel, driveshaft, intake and exhaust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.