ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im in the stages of putting a engine back together with new parts but im having trouble removing the idler stud bolt

i have tried doubling up the bolts to remove it but stil wont come out..any ideas?

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Bolt to an ideler pulley??

I don't think there are any tricks with it. Other than cranking on it. Get a bigger wrench.

But I think that you might be talking about something else.

Don't know what you mean by doubling up on it.

Please explain a little more of your problem.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its the stud that the idler goes onto.. the one in the middle if the intake manifold.. i read somewhere that if ya put to nuts on it ya can undo the back nut and it will normally remove the stud

anyways that didnt work im thinking of grinding a groove in it so it will inscrew out of the manifold

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
i think the two nut would work, but make sure you have a long wrench or socket wrench, the longer the arm, the more leverage you'll have on it. Crescent wrench is a bad idea if thats what you're using.

You could also try a little PB blaster i suppose. After an hour or two, it might unlock the stud a bit.

·
Registered
532 Posts
keep it jam nutted. or double nutted or what ever and get a box end wrench on it and tap the end w/ a hammer. that should shock it lose. they may have corroded together being differnt metals and all.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
I couldn't get the jam nut thing to work the other week while doing my t-belt mtce. I broke down and purchased a stud removal tool -- ran around $30. Looks like a long socket with cams inside that grab the stud and let you unscrew it.

Here's a picture (size = 10mm) - made by SA Falcom:

Other option someone posted on tt.net was to use a monkey wrench -- as you twist it, it grabs the stud harder.

I went with the more elegant approach - it worked well! Using the right tool for the right job...

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help guys the double nut didnt work and only wrecked the thread on the stud, that stud remover looks like a nice little tool may try to find one

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
My main concern was not snapping the stud with too much force pressing the wrong way. Figured that would be a real mess - so chickened out and went with the extractor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.