ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 81zx non-turbo is idling at 1000rpm at the moment.
before i adjust it, what is it suppost to be at?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> my 81zx non-turbo is idling at 1000rpm at
> the moment.
> before i adjust it, what is it suppost to be
> at?
Haynes manual says 700+ or - 100 rpm,in cojunction with timing set at8 degrees+or-2degrees with vacuum advance disconnected and hose plugged. Before you go crazy with adjustments, check your air regulator and make sure it isn't leaking, I had high Idle when the car was warmed up, turned out to be the air regulator.

·
Registered
195 Posts
> my 81zx non-turbo is idling at 1000rpm at
> the moment.
> before i adjust it, what is it suppost to be
> at?

If the car is runnning smoothly at 1000rpm, leave it. Evry Z mechanic, and Nissan Master Technician I've talked to, has said that 1000rpm, is a great equilibrum point for these car.

You won't notice a diffrence in gas miliage, or wear on the engine between 700 and 1000 rpm. If the car is close to stock, then 1000 is great. As you get to adding high performance parts, and changing compresion, and timing advance, you'll need to adjust it again. But even then keep it close to 1000rpm.

My car has had VERY extensive work done to the motor, (I can count the stock engine parts on my left hand.) and i have trouble keeping my car to idle at anything less than 1100rpm. Part of this has to do with the cam, part of it has to do with a timing advance of up to 20pdc at times. If I tried to get my car to idle at 700, it would lope over and die! Like I said though, even a bone stock engine likes 1000rpm better than 700rpm.

Yeah, a few of the shop manuals out there will tell you to never go past 800rpm, but I go by experience more than what I read in some 10 year old manual. Most of those manuals were written for the car to make the duplicate factory settings. But as you and I both know, there is usually a better way to do something than what The Man in the office wants.

Check to make sure there are no leaks in the system, ie:airflow meter, exhaust, intake, vacume lines, and so forth. If there is a leak, fix it, and then adjust you idle from there. If there are no leaks, leave it.

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.