ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When engine is cold and coming to a stop the engine idles down appropriately. When warm and stopping it continues to idle at about 2000 RPM for 5-10 seconds then goes down to 900 RPM. Whats wrong? What do I need to adjust.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> When engine is cold and coming to a stop the
> engine idles down appropriately. When warm
> and stopping it continues to idle at about
> 2000 RPM for 5-10 seconds then goes down to
> 900 RPM. Whats wrong? What do I need to
> adjust.

What year is your Z?

Assuming it's like my 78 when I first got it it had the same problem. Very embarassing at stop lights as the people around you think you don't know how to drive. Anyways there's a valve on the bottom of the throttle body that I pulled the solenoid out of and cleaned it up and now mine holds at the high idle for a half a second or so then drops off. Its there as a smog control device to help keep emissions down while decelerating. There's an adjustment on it too but I haven't played with that yet.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It took me awhile to remember completely what I did but the other thing I found is since that valve is vacuum operated and my problem got much worse once the engine warmed up there is a thermostaticly controlled vacuum valve connected in the vacuum lines before the EGR valve so that it doesn't function until the engine is warmed up. Anyways the BPT valve which is right before the EGR was bad so when the engine warmned up it had a very bad vacuum leak that caused the idle to stay high after stopping.

·
Registered
773 Posts
High idle after coming to a stop,then drops to normal

I'm having this same problem,I'm not sure I cleaned the part that was mentioned in the above thread. I cleaned a part on the side of the throttle body that has a wire going to it. I'm still having the high idle though for 5 seconds or so,it's annoying. I disconnected the wire and drove the car and the high idle is still there and stays at around 2000 rpm's,so I reconnected it. I don't see a valve on the bottom of the throttle body more like a nut of some kind.
Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.