ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already checked the archives and coundn't find anything like this. I have a 80/280zx and when I first start it and the idle attempts to level off, but it slows down then speeds up between 800 and 1000 RPMs over and over. It is a slow and consistant variation. I replaced all the bad vacuum lines and repaired the bad boot at the AFM. What am I missing?
I have been gone from this forum for awhile. I just took my 76 and 80 out of storage and I am finnally restoring them. I am doing the 80 first. It will be less of a challange. I am using my 82 ZXT for parts. I will have a Turbo engine with 105K left over if anyone in Michigan needs it.

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Al,

What does it do after warming up?

I would start by removing and cleaning the Aux. Air Regulator- AAR. This provides additional air to the manifold past the throttle body butterfly vlv. during after-start enrichment and WTSnr (CHT sensor ) lean out EFI fuel scheduling. Clean and inspect AAR vlv. aperture for proper opening cold.

AAR vlv. may have become stuck and closed off.

S/B 1250 - 1300 rpm @ startup

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes when it first starts the idle is higher, probably about 1300-1400 then within about 60 seconds or so it slows down. It will get erratic the way I described earlier then when it warms up it gets steadier, about 1000.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
1000 is a bit high. I've got mine up there for the coming winter so she doesn't die when I start her up in the morning (no AAR or CSV). Def sounds like a cold start system problem, or maybe vacuum problem that seals up when she warms up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will look harder and do some tests.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.