ZCar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(1982 280zx manual transmission non turbo)

So long story short I broke the studs to the down pipe and I thought I’d take advantage of this and buy headers, I misunderstood online directions and thought I had to remove the intake (I know now that it’s not necessary) but anyway I removed everything, the fuel rail all the vacuum lines and electrical equipment. And that was probably apart for a week, I replaced my ported vacuum switch located by the thermostat I ended up accidentally breaking the wire for the temperature sending unit and spliced it back together with a normal splice (does anyone know If It was supposed to use thermocouple connection? )

I put everything back together as It was and the car won’t idle. I can depress the gas about 1/4 and get it to idle around 800 and it sounds absolutely terrible. Lots of popping in the intake. I’ve triple checked ignition, I’ve checked my injectors and all squirt very good. I can rev the engine but it’s uncontrollable and the weird thing is the engine sounds better around 3k. I have the manual and I’ve done all the checks I can find and all seems good. I’ve been researching for days now and I’m out of answers of things to check. Today I unplugged the air flow sensor and the car finally idles at the correct rpm and the rpm is very controllable but sounds like absolutely garbage (very rich?)I can’t make sense of it so I thought I’d try the forums. This is all very frustrating since this all started with a broken stud. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay I fixed the problem. For any one else who has a similar problem you probably have a major vacuum leak. My problem was the headers I bought had a spaced to make up for the shorter mounting, which turned out to be too long so the bottom of the intake was lose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts