ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit: I should probably elaborate on what the car was doing prior to taking it in. The idle on a cold start was about 2000rpms, and when warm would settle at ~1200rpm, 1000rpms on a good day... It has been doing this since I got it back in late August.

Haven't been around much since I started my new job. At least its decent money.

Anyhow, I had been having idle problems since my longblock was replaced in my N/A when I got hydrolock back in July/August of last year. Nothing major, car ran fine, it was just high than it should and needed to be.

So, I finally get around to taking it to the mechanic that did the engine job. He's had the car for a few days and today he gives me a call and tells me he fixed the idle and its all good. He told me my hard pipes for the intake were creating too much vacuum and that this is a common problem with Z's so he clamped the vacuum on one side.

Anyhow, picked up the car after hours and the idle, when its cold, goes up and down from ~1050 to ~800 and back up again over and over. From everything that I've read in the idle troubleshooting docs, I was expecting an adjustment on something electrical, not my vacuum line...

What to you guys think? Is this mechanic retarded?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
"He told me my hard pipes for the intake were creating too much vacuum and that this is a common problem with Z's so he clamped the vacuum on one side. "

This is basically a ridiculous statement. I would probably steer clear of this guy in the future, he obviously thinks you're a chump having said something like that. And he didn't fix your problem.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Z-addict Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agreed, that is silly. Follow the write ups and
> you will find it yourself.

Lol, can't find the write up I was referring to. It was like 8 or so steps of things to check and what Ohm they should be etc... Anyone have a link?

·
Registered
834 Posts

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Sadly the bad idle can be caused by more than one thing -- so you'll need to work thru all those steps so that each one can be crossed off the list...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jzack Wrote:
> Sadly the badly idle can be caused by more than
> one thing -- so you'll need to work thru all those
> steps so that each one can be crossed off the
> list...

I know, I just don't have time for this $%(^... That's why I had the mechanic do it. It's honestly a wonder how my car even runs if he can't even begin to figure out the idle....

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
xmac Wrote:
> for some reason, it was removed from the tt FAQ:
>
> daytonaZ IACV
>
> with a little searching....
>
> http://www.twinturbo.net/ttnettech/iaa/iaa.html
>
> Also review these 2 pages directly from the
> service manual which gives you the official
> operation explanation for these 2 components:
>
> http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi?list
> =efec&dir=&config=&refresh=&direction=forward&scal
> e=0&cycle=off&slide=17&design=default&total=190
>
> http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi?list
> =efec&dir=&config=&refresh=&direction=forward&scal
> e=0&cycle=off&slide=25&design=default&total=190

Thanks for the links, I had found those already. I was referring to a particular writeup that was 2 pages devoted to troubleshooting idle. It was pretty comprehensive in covering 7-8 things to troubleshoot for idle.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
One thing worth checking right away is the condition of the injector connectors - very often corrosion is an issue. Eye ball each of the dust boots, pull the coonector plugs on any that look cracked and inspect further. Clean as needed...

Unfortunately, ditto for the pain to get at idle control solenoid (AAC) connector. That dust boot is often cracked with the contacts inside badly corroided.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you don't have time to work on it. And you want a decent mechanic to work on your car. Find a local Z club and ask around for who they would recommend. That's how I found mine. And I know a couple other mechanics because of the club. So it became a matter of personal preference rather then who knew what they were doing.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
zzzero Wrote:
> If you don't have time to work on it. And you want
> a decent mechanic to work on your car. Find a
> local Z club and ask around for who they would
> recommend. That's how I found mine. And I know a
> couple other mechanics because of the club. So it
> became a matter of personal preference rather then
> who knew what they were doing.

Don't know of any Z clubs in the Charlotte, NC area. Also, the closest Z shop I know of lost the job of installing the new engine block back in August because they liked to play games, which I didn't appreciate. So, I'm definitely not taking a 2 hour drive for that... I swear, you can only use a mechanic a few times before you start getting completely screwed and have to move on... I'm just going to have to set time aside to fix it myself, even though it was supposed to be part of the engine job in the first place.

Funny part is, the mechanic told me "Don't worry its on me..." Famous last words I guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.