ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pleased that my '93 convertible TT is coming along nicely. I'm outta safety boost, timing checked and rechecked...new plugs, a lot of clean-up, a few tweaks to the convertible top and it's shutting much better than before.

But...having been reverse-engineering the previous owner's "work" has been interesting. The latest is oil-pressure gauge related. The oil-pressure sending unit wire is broken...and the harness to it is nowhere to be found. :-/

I have a separate oil-pressure gauge to hook up on a pillar mount with a new sensor, etc. but the stock gauge "sort-of" works from time to time (insert confusion given existing sensor wire is disconnected).

So, the first question: Where the *bleep* should the stock harness wire to the oil-pressure sending unit actually be on the harness? Second question: how would you imagine the PO have wired up the thing so the gauge works w/o the connection to the sensor?

Just wondering...it's a moot point once I hook up the aftermarket this weekend, but it's been bugging me and thought I'd solicit others' opinions.

And, just for fun...here are a few recent photos of it with my other Z's...

Thanks

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sounds like the PO used the other side of the engine (JDM style) to mount the sender. He would have had to extend the harness and route it to the drivers side, thats probably why you cant find it where it should be. As far as intermittent working, mine is the same, it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. OK...I'll have a look. kjaillett...you think your gauge itself is bad? I guess the good news is that I have a spare set of gauges somewhere if that's the case with mine.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
mine works intermittently as well

·
Premium Member
9,534 Posts
Zin, my stock one reads significantly less as well as slower response then my autometer gauge. Highly possible that the gauge itself is bad as well.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys...appreciate the input as usual. I'll locate the alternate sending unit this weekend and plan on replacing it. We'll see what the stock gauge does (it's not critical, but just annoying).

I'm hoping to find some wheels here soon. Anyone selling an 18" staggered set in perfect condition?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
on the US cars, the OE sensors comes from the sender thru the harness and connects up to the engine room harness just behind the passenger side headlight. There should be a 1 wire plug in that little grouping.

·
Registered
862 Posts
When I did my conversion(JDM eng and trans), the included alternator harness did not have the OP circuit, being that the sending unit on the JDM engine was on the DS turbo oil feed line. I bet that the installer used the JDM harness included with a JDM engine. Possibly even the whole powertrain. I forgot which trans you have , but if its a 5-spd, they probably ditched the auto harness, and used the Jdm one. I modified my JDM harness by adding the wire for the OP circuit, I also had to run my own wires for the neautral switchfrom the plug under the PS headlamp to the ECU, being as my car was originally an auto with different circuitry through the body harness to the ECU. As far as the OP gauge working sporadically, youve got me ther. Unless the PO kept the OP sending unit on the driver's side and wired it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.