ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite some time now I've been looking for a 84-85 300ZX 2+2 w/ under 100k miles and no rust. In the past 5 months that I've been searching I've only found 2 cars that come anywhere close to being what I am looking for. One of which was a while back, and was quite immaculate. It went for $3000 on ebay, which was a steal. I wish I could have bought it then, but I couldn't due to lack of $$ at the time. Anyway, now I recently came accross another vehicle. 84 2+2 w/ about 90k on it. The guy is asking about $2,500 for it which is fairly reasonable, but the only thing stopping me from buying it is that it has a rust spot (maybe 2X2 inch) behind the back wheel, and the paint is chipping in the front right. How much do yall think it would be to fix these flaws? I would want to get the rust fixed ASAP, which would probably mean having somebody cut out the piece and welding another piece back in place of that. Do yall think its worth buying the car and dealing with this? I would want somebody at a body shop to fix the rust as I would have no clue what I'm getting myself into. I would assume I'm looking around the price for $300-500 for getting it fixed. What do yall think? I def don't want a rust bucket, and I don't have a problem with waiting for a good car to come around. I'm looking for any input.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I live in arizona, rust on cars is almost unheard of here.

that small spot could probably be sanded down and primed, but i'd sand the whole car, pull off all the trim, moulding and stuff and have maaco paint it or a local shop that will do it inexpensively. realistically a decent paint job, if you do all the sanding and removal of parts from the body, is about $1000.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bleh. I'm 18. I don't need to run around wasting $$ left and right. I'll see if I can't get a closeup pic of the rust and the paint chipping. What do yall think the chances of there being more rust inside the pannels and such?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am interested in buying a no rust Z. That Z must be a 2+2 and I'd prefer it to be an 84-85 but I'd accept something else I guess. Is your car 2+2?

·
Registered
548 Posts
es3, Bodywork you're describing isn't that hard. Why don't you do the bodywork yourself and have someone else shoot the paint? Where're Y'all from?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Dude just buy the 17_6's car and go from there his price is way better then the 2500 you where talking about rust all over it!! Plus the 88 is way nicer looking then the 84 anyways..!! who cares if its a 2+2 or not either way its not a turbo.. and with the 2+2 you can fit people in the back and have more room for speakers...
good luck

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no. lol. I NEED a 2+2. otherwise i might as well keep my 86 n/a. I need to be able to fit 4 ppl in my car. I agree. 87-89 does look better. Its also alot heavier. Next summer, I'd like to mod out my Z and see what I can do. As for the car with runt for $2500, it has a SMALL small piece of rust. just one piece to my knowledge. The bodywork may not be that hard. Thats what I was asking. If I could do it on my own.

you asked where I was from dspurch2. I live in Richmond, Virginia.

Also, I don't know a thing about 17_6's car. All I know is that is "has no rust"

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some pics. Best pics I could get. What do yall think?

Rust :

Peeling Paint:

How hard do yall think that would be to fix?

Post Edited (Sep 21, 2:20pm)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The guy won't even let me jack up the car. We just argued on the phone for like 15 minutes. There is no way I'm gonna buy a car if I cant even look under it and perform the z31 checklist. But the guy actually said I was being childish, and it was apperent that I was 18. I was pretty offended by that remark. That entire conversation kind of originated because he said I couldn't jack up the car to look at it. I wanted to see if the underside was rusted and all that other good stuff, but he was just saying that he had 2 mechanics look under it and that it was fine. I was very calm the entire time, but he was gettin mad. He kinda flipped out when I asked him how old he was after he made the comment about my age. Anyway, overall he couldnt really tell me anything about the car. He inherited it from his uncle and he doesnt know much about the car. He keeps on thinking he's cutting me an unbeleivably killer deal. As his add says "These cars, completly detailed go between $7,000 - $12,000." I have never seen a z31 without like 40k miles go for over 5k.

Anyway, I didn't trust him and at the end I was basically just trying to get off the phone with him w/o offending him. I'm probably not gonna call him back.

Does anyone think its unreasonable for me not to buy a $2500 car if I can't jack it up?

Post Edited (Sep 21, 2:57pm)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya. I dunno. I think the guy is hiding something. Probably not, but I just dont want to deal with that rust either.

·
Registered
548 Posts
After seeing the visible rust I'd want to see under the car. And I'd probably poke around the interior (under the carpets) and the hatch area too. You weren't unreasonable to want to look under the car. He's the only one who knows the 2 mechanics (if there were any). He'll sell it eventually, but I don't think to any of us.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THATS WHAT I SAID! I told him I was very worried about the frame rails. Like no joke... we had a down right childish argument. I stopped and said, this is stupid... I'm not gonna even consider driving up and looking at the car if I cant jack it up. and then he said its very apperent that I'm 18 because I obviously lack the social skills to talk to ppl about cars. He wouldnt tell me how old he was... but he is "alot older than" me. Prolly 21. I'm not gonna call him back.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
YES! great idea 88hybrid. his # is 202-256-1616

Here is his add on e-bay :
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-300ZX-2-2-Nissan-300ZX-1984-88-000k-2-2-T-Top_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6398QQitemZ4576133027QQrdZ1>

Just read his add first. He calls it a ZX300. He doesn't know what hes talking about. I told him I was posting pictures of the rust spot/chipped paint on a forum and he questioned the legality of it. lol. He didn't want me to do it.

Post Edited (Sep 21, 5:04pm)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.