ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i heard that you could add a couple of horses on a car that was fuel injected by putting a resistor in the Intake Air Temperature monitor, which sends the temperature back to the ecu. The myth is that it is located too close to hot parts and it usually misreads and gives a hotter reading causing less air to be put in the valves. IS THIS WORTH IT? ( the 1$ it would cost me to buy a resistor and the time to find the sensor) Does anyone know where the sensor is?? Also known as the manifold temperature sensor/monitor. ANY LINKS PICS what ever.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i looked in haynes and the FSM and didnt see anything about the IAT. i may be wrong but i dont believe that nissan didnt put IAT's on z's until the later years. mind you i am looking at a 1988 FSM so it may not be entirely acturate for your z

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The Z31 series uses a Mass Air Flow sensor. The air temp is not directly read by the ECU.
Earlier 280ZX/Z systems used the flap AFM that contained a temp sensor which the ECU used to help it estimate the air density.
The Original Poster is obviously clueless and should not be encouraged to tamper with EFI.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It's one of those stupid ebay resistor tricks. It basically fakes the ECU into thinking it's running cold all the time, there by richening the fuel; and also making it run like crap all the time.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah basically what domdogg said i was just wondering if anyone knew whether it was a good idea or if it even had it, thanks though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.