ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 78' 280 is mainly stock xcept for a cat back muffler and rim & tire upgrades, nothing exciting...truth is im poor and don't think i have enough money to be competitive at the strip so im gonna opt for the track. I've always been partial to driving on a road with turns anyway...don't know why just seems more fun (duh). Anyway i saw my 1st autoX last weekend and actually saw a zcar win the class above stock...don't know the name. My questions are: Is running on a street corse going to cost me $,000 in replacement suspension parts, my car is beggining to show its age. also since im just beggining in this type of style should i aim for the stock class, i understand im allowed a cat back exhaust, but thats it (is this true can i add k&N intake, and perf clutch, not that anyone will see it). or should i slowly modify and enter another claass, if so what, where are these cars most lethal? (remember im poor).
thanks...if anyone is in the San Diego area and involved in this pls contact me I have lots ta learn

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: I would like to start autocrossing...</b>

You should stick with the stock class for starters to get a feel for your car and if you even enjoy that type of event. If you only race a few times a year I wouldn't worry too much about wear and tear on the car. Yes you do wear out parts faster but the few times a year won't make much of a difference.
By the way make sure your underbody is not all rusted out or you could twist the unibody and cause other problems. Also make sure your brakes in good condition.
I'm sure there are lots of other things to look out for ie clunking noises, wheel shimmy etc etc. but if your Z is in reasonable condition then go for it. It sure is a lot of fun.
Lastly, invest in a good helmut and if you want to continue racing, invest in a simple 4 point harness. It is worth every penny. It keeps you safe and makes it far more easier to drive.

Good Luck!

ZR8ED.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Lots of good advise by ZR8ED...The best thing that you can do for your Z, at first, is just make sure that all that is there works like it is suppose to. Meticulous attention to preparing the car maintenance wise. Bleed your brakes, give everything a look see, that kind of stuff. The Z car is a racer in soft clothes, and by that I mean that once the "softness" has been taken out of one of these cars they are real *race horses* who like to run and run hard. I'm finding that out as I peel back the soft outer layers on my 82 ZX, and there is a hard racer under there, who will respond to my every whim on the course!

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Billy,
If you have made upgrades to your wheels and tires, specifically larger diameter, you will be in Street Prepared class not stock, kinda a bummer but you can still go out and have fun. You can do all kinds of things to your Z in Street Prepared as long as you don't do any internal engine mods. You can do headers, intake mods etc.
It doesn't matter if you are that competitive yet, just go out and watch and learn. The three best ways to become a better driver in AutoX is, seat time, seat time, seat time. Try to find a drivers school put on by your local SCCA division, they are probably the most seat time you will get for your dollar. On an average AutoX event you may be on the track for 3.5-5 minutes for your $25. During a drivers school you pay alittle more, $40-50, but you probably get 2-3 HOURS on the track. You can look at SCCA.org for more info and links.
Have fun, we need to get more Z's and ZX's out at the tracks.

Russel 83ZXT SCCA F Stock

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
RE: autocrossing

Billy,
If the car you saw in San Diego was painted like a race car in White and Blue it was probably the car that won SCCA BSP Nationals with the owner not Andy Craig the winning driver at the wheel. The owner is not a terribly approachable guy so he is not much help to a new Z racer. If it looked like a street Z it was probably Sam Williamson who works for Motorsport Auto. He would help the heck out of you!
My best advise is don't worry about modifications at all until you have done 5-6 events. Remember, these cars wont get around the course at all if they don't have a driver so develop your skill first and then start modifications. Good luck and if you are in the San Diego area you will probably see me there at an event one of these days. You can check out my car at PlanetZ. http://members.aol.com/robsime/planetz.html

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Hey Russel...

Ken,
Yep, that's me last year. I got the car painted in October so it looks alittle different now...it's all one color, is silver a color?
This year I'm in the open class (F Stock) not Rookie, so I'm competing directly agianst the big boys. I won my first open event, came in second in my second (got new Kuhmo's). Not bad for a stock 17 year old Datsun/Nissan. Ken where do you run???

Russel 83 ZXT

·
Registered
3,550 Posts

I run with the BMW CCA Lone Star Chapter and the Maverick Region Porsche Club, and plan to attend more SCCA stuff. I run out at Mineral Wells so far (I'm in Texas), and have not been too impressed with the Pennington Field venue so I have not ran there yet.

I am sitting out April to get myself some new tires and rims, tired of getting beat by lesser drivers in M3's. I plan to go to the AVS intermediate (225x50) on 15x7 rims.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

Ken,
I run AVS Intermediates on the street 205/60-15 225/60-15. I also ran them most of last season. Good tires, made all kinds of noise, maybe the 50 series will do better than the 60's I had.
I got the Kuhmo 225/50-15 for this season because of their cost and they are suppose to last longer than the R1's I ran previously. I only got about 5 events on the R1's I had at the end of last season ($620 a set!!!).
If you are going for new tires just for AutoX I would recommend going with something in a "R" compund. It cut about 4-5 seconds off my times last year, brought me into the "Dance". When everybody else is running them, especially the Mustang Cobra's and Z28's, you really don't have much choice.
I also send some new Pic's the AutoX.net, don't know when they will be posted.

Russel 83ZXT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.