ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will that screw up the heater switch or alter it in any way? Just trying to drop unecessary parts on the car.

·
Registered
571 Posts
That reminds me, I only need one kidney and can remove my gal bladder.
I’ll go faster.
Then I'll gut the inside of my car and bolt in a lawn chair.

Mad

·
Registered
54 Posts
i took the A/C out of my dodge and it didn't do anything. I haven't turned the a/c on and i don't plan to do so, but it's fine. The day after i did that, my clutch died, if i remember... Don't know if it freed up enough power to finish frying my clutch, or if that day was just meant to be its last...

you could just remove the belt from it, i imagine. There isn't a really dynamic weight gain, but...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Isn't there some smog pump or something on the same belt? How crucial is it to the cars operation? I didn't sound important but is there a possibility of it messing with the exhaust flow?

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
You save about 50 pounds. that's about it. your car will run cooler without the dryer. heat does work without A/C. I hope you don't have black interior because it gets hot in there during the summer time.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
i have been wanting to do the same thing. i can tell a difference in the cars pickup with a person in the passenger seat. what if the belt is unhooked already? does the smog set up still work. i talked to a guy and he was telling me about taking out all the emmissions stuff with the A/C. would this make a difference? i have an '81 turbo and am always looking for ways to up the power! besides, who needs A/C when you have those t-tops! i know i would never roll up the windows on a sunny day in the summer, just to feel the A/C. give me the wind in my face! bama

·
Registered
298 Posts
Do it! - Lightens the car!

Yeah! - Alright!

Start with the belt, then the idle pulley. Get rid of the a/c radiator, and all the piping & moisture seperator clear back to the fire wall. Take the Compressor and the holding bracket off the block. When your heater core plugs up, then remove the rest of the guts out from the heater inside the car. You may need to plug some vaccum lines, and there is probably a couple of vaccum lines you will want to keep functional under the dash to keep your heat and defrost working ok.

But the rest you can strip out. You will be .2 - .5 seconds faster in a 1/4 mile!

LOL! - Speed

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Go on a diet

if you wanna lighten the car. removing the a/c reduces the resale
value of your car and when u get older the hot summer heat
gets to ya more

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Re: Go on a diet

I was having trouble getting heat on my 82. Auto Clm H & Ac
Started cheacking per FSM, what a can of worms. sensors to go bad.
Next to impposable to get to water valve.
Didn't want AC [ the P/O had belt off A/C compresor, so figured it didn't work ]
Pulled A/C box betwean fan and heater box, replaced with apiece of inner tube, now I can get to heater.
I wasn't getting vacum through junk at Rt. frount of moter bay, so bypassed it .

Ther are 2 vac. lines from H-AC to moter bay, use the one that makes heater work derectly to int. manafold, and plug the other [ potental vacum leak ]

Good luck

Lee

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks all..

I made up my mind, I will go ahead and take the A/C out.. Never done this before so this will be interesting. Everything I do to this car I've done myself, and have had no prior experience just car shows, I read the mechanics manuals like the bible so that helps.

I'll let you all know if the car starts when I'm done =)

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Re: thanks all..

that's what i say, go for it. you hear about those backpackers who cut the handle of their toothbrushes to save weight.take it from whereever you can, every little bit helps. bama

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.