ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I have bought a 93 white 300zx, and I luv it! what can I do to make it faster, it looks great already. I want to make it fast so I can beat those big headed honda boys that think their cars are so hot.....any ideas for me? I'm 21, and I want to keep my car in great shape and b fast too.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Hi - welcome to the forum. I'm assuming that you don't have a turbo model, yes?

Here's some basic "bolt-on" things that can be added to a N/A that will make it go a bit faster -- these each will get you at a minimum 5 extra horsepower at the rear wheels:

- Pop Charger + Catback lo-restrictive exhaust
- Underdrive Pulley
- Combo of light weight drive shaft + flywheel
- H2O injection
- Upgraded CPU

Others will likely argue some of these provide a lot more than 5hp each -- but this gives a rough idea of what can be done. Further tuning and weight reduction (the car not you) can help a bit more.

This what you wanted?

PS - These things can also be added to a turbo model and will help that car even more!

Post Edited (Jan 30, 7:49pm)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, not a turbo :( but, I still like the way these cars [email protected]@k! I don't have too much money to spend, maybe like 500 dollars a month or so to spend on my baby. What can I get if I save for 2 months?

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Depends - you doing the work yourself? A big issue with these cars are the labor costs - many of us do our own work to save $$$.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, probably 900 bucks or so....since I broke up with my boyfriend, and live in my own place, its a little harder to save more....and I go to college too.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Are you sure your car is in good running condition, has had the PTU recall completed, is not indicating any ECU malfunction codes, has had a recent oil change, has a good battery, a strong alternator, properly gapped spark plugs, fuel injectors displaying the correct resistance, major sensors (throttle position sensor, mass air flow sensor, crank angle sensor, etc.) functioning properly, has had the 60,000 mile and 120,000 mile timing belt service completed on time as needed? Those are good places to start spending your money. Modifying a poorly maintained Z will be a waste of your time and money. Enjoy -

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
welll, I had my dad take a look at it and took it to a mechanic, and they said it was okay, no leaks, and we took it to jiffy lube and had spark plugs and oil changed. and it runs smooth. its a stick, and has i think 95 thousand miles on it. My dad saw some records of a belt being changed, maybe that means timing belt? N E ways, what else should I do? I really want to be able to show those boys that this car is **** sexy and will smak down those little riceroni cars, I hate them! I get compliments all the time! before I had this car, I drove a volvo, yea I know, don't make fun of me, but now its my turn to drive a cool car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh, and jzack, how much for all that stuff? I'm not afraid to try some of that on my own, I can do it! well, with the help of some other people...:)

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
- The pop-charger (intake) runs around $100 or so and can be done fairly easily with simple hand tools

- Exhaust system will run in the $700 to $1000 range but most likely you'll need help from a shop.

- Underdrive pulley around $200 -- could do that yourself with some help. Radiator, fan blade, etc have to come out of the car.

- ECU (new car computer) - $300 or so, could do yourself w/out much trouble. Better to do intake and exhaust before this one.

- H20 injection kit, runs around $400 or so -- a bit harder than the Underdrive pulley to install. Would need help with electrical wiring and drilling into things.

- Flywheel and drive shaft -- expensive (at least $1,000) -- since tranny needs to get dropped, need help from a shop.

Post Edited (Jan 30, 8:45pm)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
A pop charger is best way to start. I recently bought my z and it's the first thing I’ve done. And it's not hard to install :). I haven't tried any of the rest, I decided to go on the TT route.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Uhm no one has pointed this out yet so I guess I will.

Your car will already beat all the hondas. Keeping it maintained is the best thing to do.

You won't feel much of a difference with intake, exhaust, UD pulley, ECU unless you do a few of them at the same time.

Any honda thats modded to the point where it can beat you (it needs a decent amount more power then you because they are FWD and have no LSD) will probably always beat you unless you are willing to invest a lot. Its sad to say but the only fast hondas I've seen are ridiculously fast (10second quarter mile... ). I know its a waist to make a 10 second honda but some people do it. Either they are poor and dumb and add wings to their hondas or they are rich and dumb and make their hondas fast for a ridiculous price. All you need is money and any car can be fast... even a honda.

I'll probably get flamed for saying that there exists a fast honda so let me put on the record I don't endorse nor condone waisting money on a honda.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, jzack, you've been a help! whats a h20 injector whatever ? and also, thanks for the help guys! you've all been a help! ;)

Post Edited (Jan 30, 9:05pm)

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
H20 injector -- shoots a fine mist of water (actually window washer fluid) into the car's intake system. Would be near the end of my list -- just before the driveshaft and flywheel mod.

Mr. Takahashi - good points. Over on tt.net they'd tell ya to just go buy a turbo Z and not worry about mod'ing a non-turbo!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way....

Don't let your dad do all your work/maintainance/research on your car. I'm not being sexist here, but ALOT of women tend to be afraid of their cars, and let somebody else do all the work (i.e. a dealer/wal*mart oil change monkey) and get ripped off.

a Z is like no other car. Well, its like other cars, but everyone here will say its very different. Listen well. If you want your car to be "fast" (this is a relative term and can mean many different things) and still be reliable, you have GOT to get to know your Z; inside and out.

Do some research online, get a Haynes manual and read through it, pop open the hood, close your eyes, point your finger, open your eyes and figure out how whatever you pointed at works and what it connects to. When you need help with something, ask on the boards, or research it yourself. Trial and error. The errors will suck, but you will learn from them.

The Z is not a car for you to strap some bolt on parts in, put chrome rims on, bolt a silly wing to the back and paint pink and then go race around in the Kroger parking lot with the high school rice kiddies. The Z series are sports cars, not tuner cars. Sure, alot of people here like to modify their Z's, myself included. But this is to the purpose of enhancing the driving experience for YOURSELF, not to show people how much better than them you are.

If your goal in owning your Z is to make it fast so you can beat hondas, sell it right now. It will already beat most silly honda boys on the road, but thats not the point of owning this car. If you want to make a car so you can be faster than other people, the Z is not for you. You will be irresponsible, and do something to ruin the performance of your Z permanently. Take care of it, learn its anatomy inside and out, respect the heritage of the Z, respect the fact that its a sports car, not an economy ricer. Give it some respect, and it will perform for you.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.