Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: I want my '82 ZX to blow the doors off a new Z

those cars are really fast...340 hp at the rear wheels, set you sights on the slower cars then work your way up. You will need NOS at some point in time so keep this in mind while you are building up your engine.
Dont look at how much you are spending!!
Zya Travis 77z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How Much Money Ya Got, Kid?

That's all it takes. Have a look at the Victoria British, J.C. Whitney, Motorsplurge Auto and Jim Cook Racing catalogs, get a calculator and start running the numbers. You do have a nice, fat bank account, don'tcha?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: I want my '82 ZX to blow the doors off a ne

The new z28 (LS1 Motor) does not put out 340 at the rear wheels..stock anyways... I work for a Chevy dealership in Dallas and can say that for a fact. A frinend of mine just bought a 1999 SS and it is rated at 320hp at the Flywheel. 340HP at the wheels would be a 400hp motor...which it clearly is not. The Z28 in stock form runs 1/4mile in about 13.5 and the SS in about 13.2 (just for all the new mustang gt fans...the stock 1999 GT runs 13.8 at best.... >:-] ). Now...its not that hard to get a Turbo Z into these numbers and even far below..but a N/A...we are talking money..money.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Why does everyone have to be in competition all the time? I wanna beat this, I wanna beat that.
just be glad you have a nicer car then the other guy, and that you'll probably get more looks than he will anyway.

That's only my opinion though.

Matty

·
Registered
996 Posts

Well, I have a 78 280Z with the R200 3.9 a four speed for now with the same gears minus 5th of the 82ZX 5spd and mine will do it N/A. I didn't set this as a goal it just happened. First I built the suspension and brakes, strenghtened the body then started looking for motor builders. There isn't much weight difference between your 82 and my 78 stock but I have stripped so much out of mine and I have custom aluminum tricks here and there, my car with me in it weighs 2620lbs. I have a neighbor with a 99 Z28 SS 6spd, black beautiful car with a few mods such as gears, opened intake, I dunno what else, but he pulls about 2 cars on my mustang gt conv. (close to stock) and my Z puts about 2 on his Z28. He isn't the only Z I've raced it's no fluke it is power to weight ratio and consistency.

His Z28 is about 3500-3600lbs with 320hp flywheel and on a dyno he puts out 284 rwhp and runs 13.18 best 1/4.

My Z puts out 289 rwhp with a 1000 less pounds to move. I haven't ran the 1/4 yet I road race.

Now about my motor: it is one trick after another, precision balanced internals, custom crank, rods, pistons, bored & stroked to 3.0L 12:1 compression and a power band from 3500-8000 rpm. With out even having to pay for most of the machine work this motor has over $5000 in it.

To make a long story short, it can be done, but like everyone else here has said if you want to stay n/a then you better have deep pockets.

Later
Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<b>RE: Thanks for correcting me on the 20+ hp mist

Travis...you stated in your first post that the new camaros put out 340 "at the rear wheels".....All I did was point out that it is 320 at the flywheel NOT the Rear wheels. If a camaro put out 340 at the rear wheels the hp at the flywheel would be about 400. Just didnt want ZMAN to think it was impossible to beat a camaro..just costly. So actually you were not off by 20hp but by about 80hp. Just razzing you about it is all. Take care and Happy Z-ing

·
Registered
680 Posts
Ok here my 3 cent worth

hehe everyone useing two cents

the newer cars look the same at the time the Z came out they look diffent and they where fast for a small car. Now that the new age cars come out they look like the jetsons. The mustangs look the same the saturns look the same anything u look at looks the same. That where the older cars come in. I get looks for my Z even when it need a paint job. Like how fast will it go or cool car. Thing is Z are here to stay.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Keep in mind there is a TREMENDUS TECHNOLOGY GAP THERE! MY 83 ZX Turbo I modified a little was close, but it was not at the level of the 98 Z28, it took him about 10 seconds to get a car length ahead of me, but that was fooling around while already moving, and considering I was at open throttle, it was enough to show me it has a LOT more bottom end. And the Z28 is NORMALY Aspirated, I was TURBO charged. The technology is hard to work around, better FI system, more effective CAM, better curve in the computer, better gearing, NEWER TECHNOLOGY.

Scott Milella

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.