ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this morning I used using 87 ( I always use 92), then it all started! Everytime I turned my car off it kept choking ( like it was trying to stay on) then it would backfire. This never happened until I used 87. Could 87 do such a dastardly deed to my car?
And another thing, can a loose fan belt cause my car to struggle when starting. When I try to start my car it cranks forever and I have to pump the gas. My uncle says the alt. in not charging. My volt gauge shows neg when it's trying to start. thanks.

Wes

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Earlier this morning I used using 87 ( I
> always use 92), then it all started!
> Everytime I turned my car off it kept
> choking ( like it was trying to stay on)
> then it would backfire. This never happened
> until I used 87. Could 87 do such a
> dastardly deed to my car?
> And another thing, can a loose fan belt
> cause my car to struggle when starting. When
> I try to start my car it cranks forever and
> I have to pump the gas. My uncle says the
> alt. in not charging. My volt gauge shows
> neg when it's trying to start. thanks.

> Wes
gas is rated in octane because of differences in engine designs. The higher the rating, the slower it burns. If your z requires some high octane,(quality gas) then it could most definately cause it to run poorly. Engines require higher octane for several reasons. Most commonly are high compression motors and motors with high mileage. For example I had a car (too ashamed to mention the kind of car, for it was not a dat/niss)that had 185,000mi on the motor. I might add that it was VERY unusal for the engine. It only ran on 93 octane....period. What your car is doing is called dieseling. They call it this because of the way diesels run (w/o spark plugs). It uses the compression of the air/gas, and the quick burning diesel fuel to egnite the mixture. Thus your engine will run (even momentarily) without spark. Keep using the 92 octane preferably from the same station to cure this prob.
btw. the reason your volt guage reads zero when you start her is because all amperage is going to the starter (where it should go).
sorry so long
JN Austin, TX

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answering

It was the 87 that ruined its performance. As for my starting problem, I think I just found the answer to that too. My elec. fuel pump wire is loose. After filling gas w/ 92, my car slowly started moved about 20 yards then died. I opened the hood and there was no gas in the fuel filter. Then I played w/ the wire and it fixed.
Thanks again.

Wes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.