ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I share my experience in repairing the AAC valve on my 82zxT. As most of you know, a new part would cost about $150.00. If your AAC valve is not working, the diaphragm is likely damaged. Here's how to repair it: (I will assume that you have already tested your AAC, and it is defective.)

Tools and Materials needed:

* Dremel cutting tool (small discs) or similar
* RTV Silicone or Butyl rubber
* Steel Epoxy mix or similar
* C Clamp or similar
* Electrical tape
* Small cleaning brush (soft) and cloth
* Vacuum pump (or your mouth!)
* 3/4" sockets

Procedure:

1. Using the Dremel, cut neatly around the body of the valve to separate the top and lower sections. (I used four discs!) Mark positions of both sections before separating.

2. Inspect the diaphragm. (Damage to the diaphragm may not be apparent.) Clean both sides of diaphragm with brush. If necessary, clean with damp cloth and let dry.

3. Apply RTV to the damaged diaphragm (both sides.) If you do not see any damage, apply RTV anyway. Apply RTV liberally. Cover the whole diaphragm (both sides.) Let dry.

4. Reassemble the valve. Don't forget the spring. Align your marks and hold the top and bottom sections tightly (or you can use the C clamp and the sockets. Use the sockets so that you will have a place to put your C clamp on the valve.) and wrap the top and bottom sections tightly with two or three layers of electrical tape.

5. Test the AAC valve with either a vacuum pump or with your own mouth suction. If the diaphragm and the valve rises when you apply about 5 inches of vacuum, then the diaphragm is repaired. Vacuum should hold for about 30 seconds (If you hear a popping sound, it is likely that the RTV you applied popped a hole. Meaning the RTV was not completely dried or there was not enough RTV. Repeat 3, 4, adn 5 if necessary.)

6. Remove the electrical tape. With the C clamp still holding the top and bottom sections together, apply epoxy around the valve to permanently close it. Let dry. Retest valve when dry. Now your happy.

I hope this repair procedure will help you. If it does, my favorite beer is Heineken. I like Budweiser too. Six pack will do.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Re: I REPAIRED MY AAC VALVE

Hi 280zx83--------------Very useful post, thank you! This method of fixing torn diaphragms can also be applied to EGR valves. I just did a similar repair on the EGR on my '83 turbo with good results. I've since replaced the part with a good one, but I'm keeping the repaired EGR for a spare. I'll bet you can also use this technique on the vacuum advance canister on distributors.

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.