ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm sorry this is so long, but I REALLY REALLY need your help!

Well if you're like me, and I'm sure most of you are, you need your car for more than just fun. My Z is my one and only source of transportation and right now I'm having BIG PROBLEMS.

It all started 2 nights ago, I got a carwash at Sunoco, it's a touchless, but your car doesn't move along a line, you drive in and the jets move on an arm around your car then you drive out the other side.

As my car was being washed it shut off.... strange I thought, my engine is a pretty fresh rebuild (april 05) and runs perfectly, having never caused any problems. But being 16 years old I don't pay too much attention to such things as a car stalling out after idling for a long while (line-up for the car wash) so I tried t restart it, but with no luck....

The car turns over, and over and over and over, but refuses to start, it just wont catch. Now the engine is rebuilt, but I also have a new fuel filter and lines, so I dont particularily think it's a fuel delivery problem.

back to the carwash... so I give up and my girlfriend and I push the Z out and leave it parked and I go to work. I come back 2 hours later and the car starts right up first try, great I think... but I was wrong, before I could even get moving it stalled out again and wouldn't start (no warning lights, just shuts off) again it turns over and over but wont start, I swear for a few minutes then try again and it starts right up,

I quickly drive to work being sure to not let the engine idle, I get parked and I let it idle... for 15 straight minutes with no problems... ok I shut it off.

The next morning I go to pick my girlfriend up (I was working a midnight so I'm just leaving work) and it stalls leaving her parking lot, wont restart, so I get a ride and come back for the car 5 hours later, same deal it just turns over and over and wont start (all electrical is working, car just wont start.)

come back the next morning, and it fires right up, I drive it back into her parking lot and take her car to work, I come back later and once again it starts up and runs no problems bringing me to today at work.

I get off work fearing that my car wont start (1200am, god knows I dont want to call for a ride) but it fires right up, I quickly get a move on, holding the engine at 1500-2000rpms thinking it just stalls on idle, as I get near my g.f.s house it stalls on a side road (just out of gear, but stalled from about 2500rpm) This time all my warning lights come on (like any other car I've ever driven when it stalls out) Now it wont start, some more swearing ensues and then on my 5th try it turns over and fires back up like nothing happened... so I drive the last km to my girlfriends house and park in her driveway, I let it idle no problems, then I set the autorun feature (to autostart, just checks it's in neutral) and as I go to get out (should run for 15 minutes or untill I hit the lock button) it stalls out again and I get misc (but not all) warning lights, BUT the CEL came on first (by about 3 seconds) I tried to restart it, but it once again just turns over....

which brings me to now, where I'm asking you for help because if I dont have my car I can't get to work (I commute 60miles each way from home, or 15 from my girlfriends)

some details which might or might not be helpful

- 45,000 on the engine (professional rebuild and install plus Nissan checked it over)
- BRAND NEW alternator installed in april at Fairview Nissan (doubt it's that)
- 2 new injectors installed at Fairview in May
- brand new Optima battery
- I do have an Autostart alarm, but it's been in for about 5 months with NO problems at all.
- JWT Pop was cleaned about 50days ago...
- I DO believe it's entirely possible that this is related somehow to the carwash?

I REALLY appreciate you guys taking the time to read this post and even if you have no idea what my problem might be, I still appreciate your efforts, thank you.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
It sounds like a simple water problem.

Disconnect all of your electrical connections and allow them to dry. Use electrical cleaner on them.

Coil packs, PTU, TPS, MAF, etc.

The other thing it might be is the MAF itself (and complete coincidence) but you will have to wait for the others to give you thoughts on that.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
the maf is freakishly sensitive to water on all z31's/z32's

ild remove the afm and blow dry it with cool air

or next time it dies and wont start remove the maf connector to see if it starts and revs to 2500rpm, that may tell you if its the maf or not

Post Edited (Jan 30, 12:52am)

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
2nd on running the codes. Especially when the car wont start. It sounds electrical and the ECU most likely knows what's wrong.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks guys, if it wont start when I go out I'll disconnect the MAF and see if it'll run at 2500, then if that's the case I'll take it off and blow-dry it, I'll run codes if the problem persists.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.