ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the engine installed, changed timing belt, according to FSM while the engine was out of the car. Well I got the engine started several days ago, but the timing is way off. I can't get the marks on the belt cover to any of the marks on the crank pulley. I used a timing light and the marks are about two or three lines past the last mark on the crank pulley. I tried retarding and advancing the distributor, but marks just don't come within range and I can't get the car to go past 35 mph. I purchased the timing belt from O'Reilly.
I cannot get the dotted line on the belt to line up with the dimple on the R3 cam. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated and my car is an 87t. I haven't installed the downpipe to the turbo yet, don't know if that would affect the timing. I also read Z31's post and the post at zheritage on timing belt install.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Red, but the dimple on the R3 cam doesn't line up to the mark on the belt, it's in between the dotted line and the forward arrows on the belt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
red october is right you have to get the lines to match up its not that hard. take the whole belt off again and make sure that you're at top dead center on the #1 Cylinder take the starter off etc. now take out all your spark plugs and loosen the 12 bolts on each valve assembly on the bar that goes across sorry i don't know the name of the bar but theres 6 bolts on each and 2 on each side.now first off line up the bottom line with the one on the crank. then loosen the tensioner pull all the way back and lock it in place and then grab a wrench and turn the cams till the dimples match up with thelines on the belt make sure not to move it on the bottom. now put the whole belt on loosen the tensioner so it applies pressure again make sure the spring on the tensioner is on the stud and then tighten it till where you can still rotate your allen wrench 70-80 degrees and then double check it to see if you can turn the belt 90 degrees in between the two cams. then make sure all your wires are going to the right plugs reassemble and when you initially put the distributor back in make sure to line the dimple with the line on the bottom. then place the dist. back in and make sure that its facing the #1 cylinder. another way is to make sure that its pointing where the screwhole for the cap is. that should be how you properly time your Z well you still have to fine tune with the cap but like red said the lines have to match up and the arrow should point towards you.. not align with any cam or anything else. this is what i've gathered from my haynes because i've had to do this quite a few times

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
everything Adizzle has told you is a waste of time. Take the tensioner off. set the dimples so they point away from the center of the engine. align the crank punch mark with the line on the oil pump. align the lower mark. put the belt on the passenger side cam and line it up. then work your way over with the tensioner still off and line up the driver cam by twisting the cam with a breaker bar/socket until it lines up the 3rd mark. Make sure the letters are in the center of the cams and the arrow is pointing toward the front of the car. Once you have all 3 marks lined up install the tensioner. if you seriously loosten the rocker bolts you are doing about 3 hours of stuff you dont have to do. the tensioner spring is a trash can item.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read the FSM for an 88, and it says the almost the same thing Red is saying, but the FSM for my 87 has the long process of removing both valve covers and loosening the rocker bolts. Do I have to remove the spark plugs in order for the tension on the belt to be correct?

·
Registered
430 Posts
BOTH the lines on the belt AND the dimples on the back plate vs the gears should generally line up....if they don't agree...go with the dimples and count some belt teeth?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.