ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there have any suggestions on which springs to get? I found some Eibach prokit springs for 250.00 or Tokico springs for 200.00

Everything I read says the Eibach's are better, except one letter from a guy who Xcrosses once a month said he had to replace them in a year because they went from springs to sprungs.

Any Ideas out there?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have tried both brands and some others. Every set I installed lowered my car (280Z-78) too much for my liking. And ride become too hard, like Flintstone mobile.

My father told me to try shorten the orig. springs. So I did with very nice results. Took a grinder and took out 1 turn from the bottom and 1/4 turn from the top. Car stiffened up noticably and has remained so for past three years with pretty hard driving. I calculated spring rates to be around 165 lb. and they lowered my car about 3/4 inch. And best of all, total cost $3.25 (price of grinding wheel) and few hours of my time.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanxs!

Wow, I just bought a 280Z 77 and my shocks,struts, and springs are bad(I think). The car bounces like a foam ball and I couldn't decide how to drop my car since I was going to replace those things anyways. Were those stock springs or you bought from dealer?

Thanxs,
Beathose

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: I need springs</b>

Sure. Just cut em. It is recomended that you heat with torch to reform the ends of the springs to flatten out the tops so they sit nice and even in the perches. I went Extreme and cut 5 or 6 coils (can't quite remember) It lowered the car about 4 inches and have been doing well eversince (approx 5 years) The car handles awsome at Mosport and Shannonville race ways as well as the odd autocross. As far as stiffness goes My CD player never skipped any more than it did before.

ZR8ED

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't understand. You say you've tried several brands of springs and you didn't like
them because they lowered your car. You then cut your original springs. How can that
possibly help? First it would lower the car which you didn't want (neither do I).
Second, you risk screwing up the geometry of the car. If the springs have
sagged (thus the need for new springs) how can this possibly help?

Chris

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Non-stock springs lowered my car too much. Anywhere between 1.5-2.5 inches. Too much.
2. Lowered the car about 3/4 inches and did not change susp. geometry substansually. Very slight increase in negative camber. Which is good medicine for handling when applied moderately.

You are right about cutting sagged springs. My springs were not sagged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.