ZCar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm back! Happy new year to all! I bought an 83 non-turbo coupe for 100 bucks (T-Tops, Silver on Silver, .5 spd) and I just dropped tank, cleaned 15 year old gas out and replaced fuel filter. Turned key on to start and no hum like my 82 coupe has. Car won't start. I have the FSM PDFs and they say to start with the 32 pin connector to troubleshoot. Is this connected to the ECU on drivers kick panel? Also where is the actual ECI/EFI relay at? I know the the Fuel pump relay is bright green on passenger kick panel. Any thoughts how to get this beast fixed? I'll run pins tomorrow, but wanted ya'lls opinion on where to start. I did get the car to fire off with starter fluid for a few seconds.
Thanks in Advance,

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,334 Posts
I can't answer the question about the pins, but don't be surprised if you have to pull the injectors and clean them, and flush out the fuel rail.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Having a similar situation with the same car ('83 2-seater, T-top, silver, 5-speed, what a coincidence!). In my case, I found out the fuel pump was toast (I recommend you test yours), and I got as far as replacing it, and upgrading a few things only now to be flooding, but that's neither here nor there...

Test the pump and make sure it works, pull the sender out if you haven't already and clean the crap out of it and it's pickup screen (This would be a good time to do the in-tank pump mod if your pump died, too). If your car is anything like mine, there's a fuel pump relay behind an access panel in the engine bay, next to the battery. '83 relocated and changed a few things. For example, the ECU on these is different from previous model years as I recently found out (dropping resistors for the injectors are built in, now, not external).

As pilgrim mentioned above, the injectors and rail are probably packed with varnish deposits from the fuel sitting in there for a decade-plus and breaking down. Pull the rail with the injectors still attached, and do a test crank (After you verify that your pump's working).

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Well I'm back! Happy new year to all! I bought an 83 non-turbo coupe for 100 bucks (T-Tops, Silver on Silver, .5 spd) and I just dropped tank, cleaned 15 year old gas out and replaced fuel filter. Turned key on to start and no hum like my 82 coupe has. Car won't start. I have the FSM PDFs and they say to start with the 32 pin connector to troubleshoot. Is this connected to the ECU on drivers kick panel? Also where is the actual ECI/EFI relay at? I know the the Fuel pump relay is bright green on passenger kick panel. Any thoughts how to get this beast fixed? I'll run pins tomorrow, but wanted ya'lls opinion on where to start. I did get the car to fire off with starter fluid for a few seconds.
Thanks in Advance,
something else you should consider since you got an NA and your pump isn't kicking on.... check your ignition module (on the side of the dizzy) if this has failed, your pump won't kick on. my 83 dies on me all the time because of this issue (of course due to getting hot) but yours just might simply be dead.

Bon

Reactions: pilgrim

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,334 Posts
Great thought about that module. It's a common failure, although usually only when it gets hot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for replies! The fuel pump was bad, I replaced and still no light off. It did momentarily start on fluid. I know both the outboard studs on exhaust manifold are broken and missing. When it started on fluid exhaust gas came out of number six cylinder. On my 82 non turbo I had to tear the intake and exhaust off and then drill out studs. I then used PAL nuts on studs on all the combo bolts. My next question is are there any decent alternatives besides a header? My 82 maniywas so warped I couldn’t even mill it due to thrust washer issues on combo bolts.
Ideas???

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Great thought about that module. It's a common failure, although usually only when it gets hot.
yeah it is a common problem... luckily we can still get these. I got one from autozone and it was in stock... which was pretty mind blowing to me. what irritates me is these will get hot and your car will die right in mid-drive or at an even more embarrassing moment like at a traffic light.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
wait a minute dude, you said the old fuel pump was bad and you replaced it and it still won't kick on? man you've got another issue. how do you know for sure your old pump is dead? and have you checked the ignition control module? did you check the fuel pump relay?

well, you might be able to have someone weld you up a new exhaust manifold, but it might be easier to find one in a salvage yard and pull it. which state are you currently living in?

Bon

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m in South Carolina! Charleston to be exact. The fuel pump was bad, I had power to the pump and now with new pump it’s pushing fuel forward. I’m not sure what’s happening though past the front fuel filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Scott, I am working on a 1981 280ZX Turbo at my home in Summerville,SC. I can probably help you trouble shoot your problem. My Z car sat for 25 years when I got to working on it. I had to do all the things you are doing. Drop the fuel tank and clean, replace the fuel pump, replace the filter, blow out the fuel lines, pull the fuel rail and injectors and test each one. I got mine running fairly quickly. If you want another set of eyes on yours you can give me your email or something via this board and we can look at it together. Wish you luck regardless.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I’m in South Carolina! Charleston to be exact. The fuel pump was bad, I had power to the pump and now with new pump it’s pushing fuel forward. I’m not sure what’s happening though past the front fuel filter.
You can do a little test in the engine bay to test for fuel... not the safest method but it works. just remove the fuel line going into your fuel filter and put a small bucket below it, then turn the key and when the pump kicks on, gas should pump out of that hose and into the bucket. you just want to quickly check to see if you're getting fuel. the best thing you can do though is install an inline fuel pressure regulator gauge in the engine bay. you'll always know your fuel pressure up to that point.

I know a guy in Fayetteville, North Carolina. He built my exhaust manifold for my turbo Z. I'm also from NC.

Bon

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Did you keep the CAT or ditch it with a 2 inch exhaust?
you mean me?
actually my car is a '76 280z with a turbo conversion (NA2T). it never had a CAT so I didn't need to worry about that. right now it has a 3.5" exhaust from scrap but I'm not all that happy with it. But I like the manifold. his name is Franky Williams. Zperformance racing. I haven't been in comm with him for awhile now, but I'll see if I can dig up his number and email. If you want your Z to go fast, he's your guy.

Bon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well we got fuel going to the rail and it sounds like it want to start! Pulled all 6 plugs and only smelled gas on 1 and 6. I’m trying to trouble shoot efi and injectors. The fan talks about checking for power on a 15 pin connector at pins 101-106.
Where is this harness?
Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another question on connectors. The family show a procedure to check pins on a 35 pin connector for the EFI injector checks. Can someone tell me where these connectors are or where in the fan they are. I’m looking in sections EF and EC pages 90 on.
Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry for all the posts! I can’t find the location of the 15 pin EFI harness to ck injectors nor the 35 pin harness. The large plug on the ECU only has 34 connectors inside it and the ECU itself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts