ZCar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I recently changed my fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump and sending unit and the car isn’t starting or getting fuel pressure and I replaced the fuel lines, and I am hearing a air Noise at the gas tank area

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,232 Posts
Sounds like you're not pulling gas from the tank. Is there a vacuum in the tank, causing the noise you hear?

Did you use the correct fuel pump? Just any pump won't work.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Are you sure you have the wire polarity correct on the fuel pump? If I recall, you have to solder some wires for that job. If you have the wires backwards the pump will make a sound but not work.

·
Registered
late 1970 Series 1 240Z
68 Posts
Suggestion. Remove the gas filler cap, turn on fuel pump, if your hearing air being pushed into the tank your hoses are backwards. Switch them then rechect the above. All working?

·
Registered
late 1970 Series 1 240Z
68 Posts
Okay, it sounds like your OP comments have hanged, correct? How do you know you has fuel at the carbs? Did you have a problem before you changed all of the fuel items you did? What were those problems? Is fuel discharging out the accel. pumps? Are the chocks closing? have you looked at those items to make sure they are doing what they are suppose to do?
let me know, Ed

·
Registered
877 Posts
Okay, it sounds like your OP comments have hanged, correct? How do you know you has fuel at the carbs? Did you have a problem before you changed all of the fuel items you did? What were those problems? Is fuel discharging out the accel. pumps? Are the chocks closing? have you looked at those items to make sure they are doing what they are suppose to do?
let me know, Ed
Hey Ed, since he posted in the 84-89 section, it's a fuel injected 300ZX. That might make this a little simpler, but not much. :)

·
Registered
late 1970 Series 1 240Z
68 Posts
Ocsillation,
Thanks, I missed that. Injectors are hard to check unless one removes them or has a noid tester. But spray patterns testing needs removal of injectors as you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so I found out my fuel pressure regulator or control solenoid isn’t turning on it gets volts but won’t turn on I’m guessing that it goes to the ecu. Would any of y’all know where it goes to or a check list for the fuel system

·
Registered
late 1970 Series 1 240Z
68 Posts
Matthew,
Do you have a manual? I'm not a Z knowitall. I would need to check the shop manual to answer your question better. I'm sure others have more knowledge on Z's then I do. When I get some time I will see if I have a manual on 300Zx's. What year is yours?
Ed

·
Registered
186 Posts
It would good to know what year and what exact model of car we are talking about. Currently I am not even sure we are talking about a z31.

Next get the Factory Service Manual for your car. You can download the FSM from xecnonzcar.com.

Was your car running before the changes described in the original post?

What is the status of your fuel system now? What is the fuel pressure after you turn your car on (don't try to start it). What is the voltage at your fuel injectors with the car on (don't start it). Do your injectors fire when you are trying to start the car? The injectors make a clicking noise when they fire that can be heard by pressing a large screwdriver against the injector body and holding it to your ear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts