ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to know what you can do to a l24 with an e88 head to bring her upto or over 250 hp. I'm willing to do a head swap and maybe a turbo and all other things except a motor swap. Any advice?
Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Getting over 250HP out of a N/A L24 can be done, but the car won't be a good daily driver and you'll be limited to race fuel only. A turbo would get over 250HP fairly easily and you'll stil have a good daily driver and be able to fill at the local gas station. Nitrous is another option that will give you a boost (250hp should be obtainable with nitrous engaged). But other prep work should be done for nitrous.

A couple of questions for you:
Why do you want to stay with the L24? Are you trying to make a certain race class?
Is this a race only vehicle or a daily driver?
If this is a race car, what type of racing is it going to be used for?

I'm currently working on a N/A non-turbo L24 with a estimated hp of 250-280hp. I haven't put the motor on a dyno yet (hopefully sometime late this spring), but I've talked to three reliable sources that has been building Z race motors since the late 70's. I purchased my parts from these sources so they have a rough idea what the end result should be. The motor will be running on race fuel only and is set up for drag racing.
If you can use a turbo to boost the hp I would go that way. A properly set up turbo on a L24 will give you well over the targeted 250hp on pump gas and can be cheaper.

If you still want/need a N/A L24 I can give you a parts list and things I've had done to my L24.

Jeff

> I just want to know what you can do to a l24
> with an e88 head to bring her upto or over
> 250 hp. I'm willing to do a head swap and
> maybe a turbo and all other things except a
> motor swap. Any advice?
> Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Power ye shall have!

I think you have the stuff to design a nice turbo setup. Much to my suprise, I found that many of the early 600+hp turbo l-28 that were built and raced by sharp and Leary were using e-88 heads. Apparently the combustion chamber was more or less ideal for making power on a turbo motor. These cars were also using the L-28 blocks that had the L-24 crank, making an awesome destroked turbo motor. Be the first kid on your block to have one. I would obtain an early L-28 block and rods, use the L-24 crank and buy a set of forged pistons to make an 8:1 destroked turbo motor. The theory behind the motor is quicker/higher revs from being destroked. Some would say that you lose torque through destroking. On an N/A motor this is true, but the turbocharger will give you all the torque you can handle. That setup will give you a turbo motor that will spinup quick and give you all the power you want.
350-400hp could easily and safely be obtained.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to stay with the l-24 because it seems to be the easiest and cheapest. (I ain't got much money to spend on a new motor.)No this isn't going to be a race car, I just want a little more power to to boot. I'm in Alberta Canada and rumor has it they'll take the speed limit off of or at least raise it on the strech between Red Deer and Calgary. I want to be ahead of the game. Anyway what would you suggest, a l-28 swap or put a turbo on what I got, and what would I need to do this?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Advice sucks

> I just want to know what you can do to a l24
> with an e88 head to bring her upto or over
> 250 hp. I'm willing to do a head swap and
> maybe a turbo and all other things except a
> motor swap. Any advice?
> Thanx in advance.
The advice you have recieved doesn't help you at all

·
Registered
863 Posts
The cheapest way (I think for you) and probably the best way to get more hp is to get a L28 out of a wrecked 280Z.
Here's what my brother did to his '71 240Z:
He found a wrecked 280Z with a good motor, one with good compression, and didn't smoke (price $150 for the whole car). He put the motor in his 240Z and put his '71 intake on the L28 (no cost). Bought him self a header and 2 1/2 performance exhaust from Tweeks (beware of the bad 3 into 2 motorsports auto header), cost for total system $230. You'll also need a electric fuel pump as the L28 has no mechanical one or a place for one, unless you use your L24 head. I recommend using the N-series head (you'll get the big valves and won't have to pay extra for them and a little more hp). Try and find a high volume low pressure (5-7 psi) pump, I've heard of people using the pump out of a older carbed RX-7. Cost: ?? depends if you buy a new one or used. Use the electronic ignition that comes in the 280Z, it works better than points and the distributor is most likely in better shape than yous (cost just time). A K&N air filter is optional (about $40-$50; more for twins). With this set up in my brother's car, the car will run a easy 130mph all day, top speed is over 140mph, that's about 225kph or more (his car is a automatic with stock 3.54's in the diff). He's had this in his car for about 3years now with no problems.
Maybe this is a idea worth thinking about.
Jeff
> I want to stay with the l-24 because it
> seems to be the easiest and cheapest. (I
> ain't got much money to spend on a new
> motor.)No this isn't going to be a race car,
> I just want a little more power to to boot.
> I'm in Alberta Canada and rumor has it
> they'll take the speed limit off of or at
> least raise it on the strech between Red
> Deer and Calgary. I want to be ahead of the
> game. Anyway what would you suggest, a l-28
> swap or put a turbo on what I got, and what
> would I need to do this?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>Just put a small block chevy in it. Its cheaper and a stock Chevy 350 will easily give 250 hp and not be under any stress. Add a cam and headers, aluminum intake, etc and you will get a lot more power without all the hassles of a turbo charged engine that cooks turbos and blows head gaskets when you drive it hard.

Getting over 250HP out of a N/A L24 can be
> done, but the car won't be a good daily
> driver and you'll be limited to race fuel
> only. A turbo would get over 250HP fairly
> easily and you'll stil have a good daily
> driver and be able to fill at the local gas
> station. Nitrous is another option that will
> give you a boost (250hp should be obtainable
> with nitrous engaged). But other prep work
> should be done for nitrous.

> A couple of questions for you:
> Why do you want to stay with the L24? Are
> you trying to make a certain race class?
> Is this a race only vehicle or a daily
> driver?
> If this is a race car, what type of racing
> is it going to be used for?

> I'm currently working on a N/A non-turbo L24
> with a estimated hp of 250-280hp. I haven't
> put the motor on a dyno yet (hopefully
> sometime late this spring), but I've talked
> to three reliable sources that has been
> building Z race motors since the late 70's.
> I purchased my parts from these sources so
> they have a rough idea what the end result
> should be. The motor will be running on race
> fuel only and is set up for drag racing.
> If you can use a turbo to boost the hp I
> would go that way. A properly set up turbo
> on a L24 will give you well over the
> targeted 250hp on pump gas and can be
> cheaper.

> If you still want/need a N/A L24 I can give
> you a parts list and things I've had done to
> my L24.

> Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.