Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
There's a car I found in the "Autos for sale" section here that I'm seriously thinking of buying, in fact I've already gotten the loan for it. I'd just really appreciate some input from you guys on what you think of it since the guys asking so much $. The website address is: http://pw2.netcom.com/~jlucan/datsun/ and it's still listed in the autos for sale under "1973 FULLY RESTORED AND PERFECTLY MODIFIED dated Nov. 8th.
Also, if anyone knows of a mechanic in the Marin County area where I can take it to be checked out, please let me know.
I hate to be such a PIA, and I know you guys have more important and interesting topics to write about, but I'd really appreciate it if you'd help me out on this one.
Thanks!
Yvette

·
Registered
72 Posts
I car really looks good, will they get 9.5? I seriously doubt it. I know in this area Zcars don't carry the value we think they should. Once you start investing into one you can bet that it will not be long til what you put in will be higher than what you can get out of it.... I'm glad it has o.b.o. on it this gives you the leeway to get the car at its realistic value. My advice would be to go online to find the value of one in this condition and add 1k for good measure and start off there with your offer. Best of luck, hope you get it....

Rebel Z

·
Registered
741 Posts
I agree with Rebelz. That price seems high. I guess the question you have to ask yourself is what you are going to use this car for and will you eventually end up putting that much money into another one you buy. I paid $1900 for my 72. I had been looking for several months to find it. within about 3 months and about $800 it is now a daily driver (shocks, bushings, wheels from a newer Z and new tires). Not nearly as many modifications as that car but it was what I was looking for. In the end I will probably end up putting about 3 grand into it to bring it to the end result i'm looking for.

So ask yourself if you are getting this car to drive on the weekends and fix up yourself to be able to say you did it yourself or do you want a reliable daily driver that you would seldom if ever have to work on. If your choice is the later of the two and you can get him to come down on the price a bit that may be the car for you

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Looks like a beautiful ride...

RebelZ is right, though. Most Zs will not get anywhere near what they are worth. I would offer him $5500-$6500 if it checks out at the mechanic shop. Make sure you get it put on the lift and take a good look underneath it. Of course, if money is no object for ya, then think about what you would get at the carlot for $9000...not much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got an 80 280zx for $1,500.00 as a project. So far I have about $2,400.00 (including the car) Big Bore throttlebody, tires, wheels, Eibach springs to lower it about 1 1/2 and KYB Struts, brakes and SS brake lines, and some work to the motor. I so have a block and crank to start working on the motor some time in the future. This winter I'm doing the interior plus adding a rollbar and strut tower braces and a headder. In the spring I will be on the outside with an aero kit and paint. All told I should be less than $7,000.00 and it will be the way I want it to be. 9 is to much unless it is a zero miles car that has been in storage since the factory. But then again you woulden't want to ever drive it either.

CJ

·
Registered
327 Posts
Really depends on what you are willing to pay and how low he is willing to go.Looks like a well done car,the Rebello engine is a plus if he can supply documentation to prove this.They don't work cheap and are highly respected.Figure 3000 min if they went completly through this motor.Datsuns and most cars in general are labors of love not money makers so my first question to him would be why are you selling?Remember the first one to mention a dollar figure during negotiations loses.Don't lowball or you might offend him,just try to get a dollar figure of what he wants out of the car then start from there.Is it worth 9500?Personally I would not pay this unless 1 I could afford it and 2 the paint and motor work where done by respected shops who will stand behind there work. Your getting a loan so any mechanical work will be on top of your monthly payment.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I am just finishing my 1972. It has virtually everything that car has plus I know every piece of rubber, every bushing, every bearing, every bolt has been replaced or restored. The engine is a modified L28 with triples, cam, lite flywheel,headers, high compression-but no miles. Nicer centerline 16" wheels, Nardi mahogany steering wheel, brand new interior, etc. Near perfect, but I would never expect anyone to pay more than the $5500 all the books say a 240Z in great condition is worth. I wish I could get $15K for it if I sold it. $9500 is in dreamland, really. You can buy Flawless early nineties Miatas for $7k, that's leather, convertible, air bags, fuel injection, with the hard top.
I love all Z's, but $9500 for one is unwise.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I agree, 9500 sounds high though I'm sure the guy put more than that into it. Rebello motors are pretty hopped up and their owners often run the **** out of them, so it could be getting a little worn. You might even check into running the car over to Rebello to have them do a checkup on it. It's a bit of a drive, but you'll get a good feel of what the car is like on the trip and they should be able to tell you better than anyone what condition it's in. Also, they'll be able to tell whether the carbs were set up properly. Tripples are hard to get adjusted, I hear.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Check it out

A good place to have it checked out near Marin is the Z Doctor over in Richmond. They're not cheap, but they do good work. BTW, I agree with everyone else here — $9500 is about 3-4,000 more than you can get an equivalent car if you look around.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Z doctor

Are they still doing Z's? I thought they were transitioning into "Explorer Express" and moving away from Z's.

I brought my Z there for a tuning, checkup, etc a few years ago when I first bought my Z. Not only did they screw up the tuning part, but they managed to break several other things along the way for which they wanted a buttload more money to fix. No way in **** am I ever going back there. YMMV

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
i got a car from marin

it was from larkspur. rusted in alot of places. alot of salt air here
despite what you may hear about calif cars.

why dont u get a car in arizona where u are at
i personally dont like dealing with marin-ites
they are a bucks up rich to do bunch
and they dont like to lose any of it

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Re: If you are in AZ there are a few cars here

It looks as though a lot of work went into this car, and no doubt a lot of $, to restore it from what it was to what it is.

However, I agree with everyone here, it sure looks as though the current owner has kept every receipt for everything he bought for the car, and having tallied up the total is looking for someone to reimburse him for that amount and possibly his labor.

Look on some of the other sites, I'm sure you'll find other vehicles just as look and road worthy as this one for less money. However, if what the owner claims is true, this one is just a pay and drive.

You need to consider how much that is worth to you. Some of the Z's you'll see for less dollar are "Perfect.....except for..." and the amount of the "except for" is what you would need to either have done or do yourself. Are you mechanically inclined and do you have the time for doing those things? If yes to both, then save the money, if no to EITHER then how much is your lack of that worth? A good mechanic can be both hard to find and once you find them, expensive to maintain.

Are you planning on making it a daily driver? Will this be your sole source of transportation? What's the weather like where you live? Since this is an older car, those are serious considerations, and shouldn't be dismissed lightly.

But in the end, two things which must be considered as the absolute maxims here as in all other barter / exchange transactions:

The value of an item is that value that that item will bring from anyone willing to give it.

and last but not least......CAVEAT EMPTOR Buyer Beware

FWIW

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
240z turbo for 4500$

this guy has a hot 240 for sale

too many mods to list. please check out my site for pics. Lots of time and money invested in this car. MUST SELL! I am asking for $4500.00 but no reasonable offer will be refused.
http://www24.brinkster.com/jgino35

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.