ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a Summit, Dynomax, Hooker, or Flowmaster Muffler I don't know witch one I want but any ways if I put a muffler that has better air flow on a Turbo engine is that ok to do?
does the Turbo engine need back Pressure?
also how hard is it to put on do you need to weld it?

one more thing I also want to put hooker tips on it how would it make the Z sound? or should I stay with what the car came with

thanks

Jeff280ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I want to buy a Summit, Dynomax, Hooker, or
> Flowmaster Muffler I don't know witch one I
> want but any ways if I put a muffler that
> has better air flow on a Turbo engine is
> that ok to do?
> does the Turbo engine need back Pressure?
> also how hard is it to put on do you need to
> weld it?

> one more thing I also want to put hooker
> tips on it how would it make the Z sound? or
> should I stay with what the car came with

> thanks

> Jeff280ZXT

In general you want as little back preasure as possible on a turbo engine. On a standard ZXT without any other mod's, the only gain is a little shorter spool up time, but if you have made any other mod's, such as variable boost control, intercooler etc. the gain will be bigger especially if you are driving your exhaust turbine near to the limit, then the extra drop in preasure over the turbo will be usefull.
I don't know anything about the mufflers so i hope some other guy can give you some advice.

Brian Madsen
83 ZXTT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Warlock muffler

I know a lot of turbo guys are using a dynomax with good results. I have heard it best to stay away from flowmasters unless you have a V8. I am using a Warlock muffler (Flowtech?) It is unique in that it has a plug you can remove which completely bypasses the muffler and allows you to run straight exhaust. With the plug in place the car is just slightly louder then stock, without the plug it is quite a bit louder, but the turbo seems to respond much better, and the car seems to pull a little better. I always remove the plug if I plan on racing someone, but on longer trips and such I put the plug in for a quiter cruise. Almost like the best of both worlds.
I sent you a wav. file so you can check it out for yourself. Maybe too loud for some people.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RX7??? OK?

I was just wondering.. on my Z, (was like this when I bought it) it has a muffler off of a Mazda RX7... Should I change this for optimum proformance or is it alright? The muffler is in good shape.. but should I change it anyways?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Another Option in Mufflers

i just put an edelbrock rear muffler on my Z and it is quieter and more appropriate than a flowmaster also....less gravelly sounding....
just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I put a Flowmaster on my 81ZXT with great results. It has a nice throaty sound, but not to loud. I can still hear the turbo spool up. Whatever you do, just make sure you don't pinch down the exhaust system. I bought mine Z with a standard Z muffler in it. The performance boost I got from opening the exhaust up was just incredible. While you're at it, put in a high flow catalytic converter also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.