ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby is acting up and I have never heard this type of noise from a car before. I was wondering if there was any mechanics in the portland area that wouldnt mind looking at her and see what they think. It almost sounds like a relay that is buzzing but my tach jumps and the car surges and stalls. this all started about when our wonderful colder weather started. I have a 1979 280zx with 5spd it has 152K miles.

· Registered
16 Posts
Oregon, Maine or another state? I had a problem similiar to this and also saw a post similiar to this, it was the ignition modual on the side of the distributor. Does your car start back up after a few minutes? That is what mine did. I replaced it with a used one from a Z bone yard in Portland, OR and haven't had any problems since.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in Portland Oregon. It never actually dies it just bogs way down. I guess it could be the module. It just sounds so odd that Ive never heard from a car before and its gotten me stumped. I have the next 3 days off to play with it so I may figure it out but if i could get some help that would kick butt.

· Registered
16 Posts
It doesnt sound like the module if it doesnt die. When does this happen: cold, hot, driving, idling, when you apply throttle? What have you checked so far? Is the timing ok, spark, fuel delivery? Where is the buzzing coming from, under the drivers side, passenger side, behind passenger seat (fuel pump)? I'm not a mechanic but I have just been through running down a hard starting problem with my '79 so have been up to my elbows in the fuel delivery system. Just solved the problem this morning after two months.

By the way, have you ever talked to Mike at All Z in Gresham. He has built alot of cars from the wrecked ones they get in so he has seen alot of the problems I call him with. He usually can suggest where to look and has about every part used I've ever called about.

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Mike at All Z is very knowledgeable, his number is 503-633-5659

Another good Z mechanic is Matt Anderson, he's in Vancouver, WA
his number 360-573-7314, however, he works by appointment only and he's usually 2-3 weeks out at least.

You could also drive it out to All Z and have Mike look at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.