Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's.....

Here's the just of the problem.....

73 240Z.... very clean California car.... Been having problems with steering column switches. Turn, Wiper, and ignition switch (where ya put the key in). The main problem has been dirt.... I have everything now working except the ignition switch. Actually it works just not the way I would like it too....The problem is it hangs up....I don't have any problem with starting the car... but when it comes to shuting it off... like when I arrive at the offfice. I have to fiddle with the key to get it to rotate to the off position. The car has had this problem since I bought it. At first I tried using some graphite.... it didn't help. I tried some light oil from a sewing machine... that didn't help... So I then decided I should just deal with it because it doesn't happen all the time... just often enough to trip my trigger... It gets me to no end when I can't flip my switch.

I found a 75 280Z at pick and pull.... it had the key in the switch.... a rare find.... I tried it on the switch and it worked.... I tried it on the hatch... bingo....the door locks too... was like hitting the lottery.... So I removed everything on the steering column... real carefully too... just in case someone might need a part I was taking off. The switch is mounted to the column with 2 screws.... I removed them. I removed the ring around the top of the switch.... I removed the back of the switch where the wires connect... easy.. only 2 screws.... I couldn't get the remainder of the switch out of the bracket or couldn't remove the bracket from the steering column....does anyone know how to remove the switch from the bracket or release the switch bracket from the column????

I looked it up in the restore book and couldn't find anything to help.... anybody have any ideas.... I was thinking about drilling out the studs that match up on the bracket.... also think I might be facing a problem with the wheel lock....

All help excepted.....

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: I need help with an ignition switch....</b>

The remaining two screws with no head on them can be jiggled out littile at a time with a very pointed long nose pliers, but first you must remove the two "headed" screws and also wiggle the bracket some so as to break the hold then use the pilers on the non-headed screws. Once the hold is broken on the screws its only a matter of patients on your part to remove it useing the pilers. Lubricant helps.
Tom H.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Were those all REGULAR screws you removed? if so,you have some drilling to do! the main clamps on those things are held on with screws that go on once!
See; the head is SUPPOSED to break off [email protected] right torque.P.I.T.A. Hard for thieves is the idea.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So once the bracket is off....

Dang... I was hoping for an easy answer.... So if I drill out the two bolts with no head on them... can I get the switch out of the bracket or is this next to impossible????

Thanks for the replies....I lightly wacked at the bracket with a hammer and drift.... and couldn't get it to move.... I didn't have any light oil with me....is it any easier if the lock for the steering wheel is disengaged?

The goal was to replace the switch, door locks and hatch lock in one swoop.

Alll the screws I did remove did have phillips heads on them....

Thanks again... guess I need to work alittle harder on this one.... that or just grab the whole steering column....

Cheers,
Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: So once the bracket is off....</b>

Sorry I forgot about this one. You can simply slide the whole bracket along with the non-headed screwsup the steering column(post) but you must have the key and the key turned to the "on" position, this with disengage the steering locking mechanism. Don't forget you got to remove the steering wheel first. Also the center pad on the steering wheel screws off. I ruined one trying to unscrew it from bottom.
Good luck
Tom H.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Help Me Understand.....

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the message. It sounds like the switch and bracket should be kept as a set. Sliding the bracket up the column sounds like the way to go. The information about having the key in the on position is very important to me.... The yard that I like to go to has mostly 74 to 80 Z's in it... with a very light sprinkling of 70 - 73 Z's... There's one 70 in there that has a vin number of 0200. It has been mostly stripped... but there still is a few good parts on it. Including suspension and the 4 speed tranny. Anyway... when I get to the yard.. I tend to get excited and forget about the position of the switch... I'll print this information so I have it handy.

Should this fail because I was in a hurry... Plan #2 is to grab the whole column.

Thanks Again,

Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Help Me Understand.....

Thanks to all who responded to Dennis...you helped me greatly. I just faced this problem with my 78 280 and I'm glad I looked here first.
Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.