ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lastnight i was driving my 280 and the clutch started to lose pressure. finally it got to the point that i couldnt switch gears. this morning i tried to bleed it and im still having the same results. only now it feels like even when the clutch pedal is all the up it is still engaged. can anybody please give me some advice, this is my only source of transportation and i need to fix it.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Check inside the car at the top of your clutch pedal where the rod goes into the master cylinder, also the rod on your slave cylinder, if neither is leaking than more than likely your clutch master cylinder is bypassing. You can get a rebuild kit from Nissan but with an aluminum bore rebuilding them is often not the best way to go. You could look into getting an aftermarket one. The Repco one was good but I don't know if it is still available.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also this is important i think. i just replaced the master cylinder about two months ago and the salve about 6, so they are new.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
What happens when you bleed the system

Also just because you replaced them doesn't mean they are good. Double check. There are a lot of crap parts out there.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: What happens when you bleed the system

after u bleed the system, it feels even like it has the same pressure, but the clutch is still somewhat engaged. an example is, i started the car in neutral then tried to shift into reverse, i couldnt get it to go it b/c it was grinding really bad. so i turned it off then put it into reverse and started it with the clutch pedal pushed in and it started the be car started rolling back, and this is on a completely falt driveway.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

this is also what happens when the pressure plate goes bad,,,,,but it's best to try out the easiest things first.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts

So the clutch isn't fully releasing. You could try giving it more pedal height by lengthening the push rod from your brake pedal to your clutch master, or check the rod from the slave to the fork. you should only have a couple of mm's of freeplay. adjust the rod if it's an adjustable one. An easy trick to try is to remove your slave and get a 10mm nut and put it inthe socket of the fork where the rod is then reinstall the slave and rod so that the nut stays between the rod and the fork. Then try your clutch. If the problem goes away then try and get an adjustable rod or make a new one that's longer. If none of this works then you could have a bad pressure plate. Providing of course you are sure you aren't losing fluid any where. Check, double check and triple check if you have to.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

if you have to put a socket on the end of the rod, something else is wrong, it's best to fix it. try new clutch slave cylinder(about $13 from discount auto parts) if not that, it's more than likely the pressure plate. replace the clutch as a set, pressure plate, disk, and throwout bearing together. it'll save you trouble later on and you know it's all good. fix it right.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Not the correct repair.

I wasn't advocating "bodging" I would be the first person to say do it once do it right. Shimming the rod will help to diagnose the problem. If it doesn't fix it then the problem will more than likley be the pressure plate. I have seen them collapse the diaphram springs, not often but it does happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.