ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Auto Meter Phantom white faced boost gauge! I was reading the instructions and I have a couple of questions. First I have to somehow attach the nylon tubing to a sealing nut...on the diagram they show the tubing going through the "ferrule" which then holds the tubing inside the sealing nut. Am I supposed to crimp the "ferrule" to keep the tubing from sliding out of it and the sealing nut? It looks like it's the obvious thing to do but it doesn't say in the book and I don't want to screw it up. Second, on the other end of the of the tubing which attaches to the turbo there is another set of sealing nut, ferrule which then attaches to an 1/8" NPT adapter...then that hooks up to an 1/4" NPT adapter...soooo here's my question, where do I screw those adapters in to? I thought all I had to do was hook up a T fitting on one of the vacuum lines....any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't wait to see how much boost I'm actually running.

ratedZ
83zxt

·
Registered
996 Posts
Re: I need help installing my boost gauge...please

I have't installed an aftermarket gauge yet but it sounds like the same sort of setup as is used in plumbing. The ferrule fits snugly in the tubing and when the nut is tightened, the tubing is compressed around the ferrule which seats against a taper on the gauge, fitting or whatever. My water lines to the sinks in my house work this way and hold tightly and dry at 70psi of city water.
I would think that you could use a tee fitting with the small spring type tubing clamps to tap engine vacuum.
Dan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: Which hose...

I tapped into the hose that goes to the stock boost sending unit, near the ignition coil. I didn't use a T fitting, the nylon tube that came with the gauge fit perfectly into the rubber hose. I just left the boost sending unit disconnected since it is just for the stock gauge and nothing else. Clamp it all up and you're done. Don't need those brass fittings on the non-gauge side. I wrapped the white nylon tube with electrical tape so it doesn't look out of place.
If it's a custom turbo setup, tap into anything after the throttle body. Just make sure it isn't after any valves in case they're one-way valves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.