ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need someone who can solve my painting problem. I want to "adjust" a paint color to appear in daylight what it looks like under "mercury" light. (Like a parking lot light) Some paint co's have suggested a "chrome-allusion" answer, but that doesn't look right and is da#%* expensive. Someone out there must have some suggestions or know someone who knows someone ....? Please help, I need to have this car (a modified 260 - yes modified, it's the way I got it) ready very soon.

Many thanks

KDR

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chromeallusion not answer.

We saw a chromeallusion painted car at the tidewater nissan show last week and it won't do what you want. The car constantly changed colors, and not uniformly. It all depends on the angle you view the paint at, so bumpers and fenders are different colors than sides, etc. and the effect is fluid and changing as you move around the car. I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but...

I HATED IT!! Looked like a bad hair doo.

Good luck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>Sunlight is the true light.</b>

Ok, quick fact.

What ever color a car is in sunlight, is the "true" color of the car. Evev lights in a paint booth throw the color of a car off just a little bit sometimes.

OK, so knowing this, you have to know what color you want the car to be in the sunlight. So, unless you know the exact color you want, or how to mix it, the you may be out of luck. The car will never be the same color in sunlight as it is in mercury light.

Is the mercury light glossing the paint, or is it clouding the paint in a desired way, or what.

Try to give me a little more detailed description of the diffrence in color, and I'll try to help you out. I've used ots of diffrent chemicals while painting, and I have a lot of experience in this field.

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Sunlight is the true light.

Thanks for your response.

You ask two very good questions, neither to which I know the answer. (glossing?/clouding?) Nor can I tell you the "exact color" I want the car.

What little I can add is what the color code was on the car that looked "right" under the mercury lights. The code was 8L5 on a Toyota Rav4.

I also noticed the "effect" on the color when I had on my "copper coated" driving glasses.

What little I remember about chem. and color spec. analysis I assume that the relative 'coolness' of mercury light (as opposed to sunlight (5600?)) is "condensing" the perceived reflection of the paint color. The glasses are "adding" red to the perception? Wait is that backwards?

Anyway, we painted the old hood using the toyota color mix, then viewed it under a mercury - bang, there was the color we wanted. If you had access to a paint chip and a mercury light, you could probably answer your questions a heck-of-a-lot better than I am doing. In my un-educated view the color deepens and "glows". A true deep purple/blue.

Thanks for the help. I'll take all the suggestions I can. I know this is not an easy one; basically I'm trying to "cheat" sunlight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.