ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fella's here is the deal,im planning on doing a tt swap someday which means ill need a tt radiator. well coz is running a special on koyo's since they are fixing to go up in price.

now i know theres a little fabrication that needs to be done, and i know that i cant use the na shroud, so here is my question, can i put the koyo in with a tt shroud and use the na fan/clutch assembly, or do i need the tt fan/clutch- or will that even work(i think i remember reading somewhere that it wouldnt work that way.)

my buddy put in a koyo a year before he did his tt swap, but he put in electric fans, and said that if he did it over he would of stuck with the stock fan-so that idea went out the window for me, cause thats what i originally was going to do.

ive been searching here and tt.net, but i cant seem to find exactly if i can use the na fan.

oh and thanks z-carr for that excellant write up you did on how to mount the koyo

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The is minimal differnces in between the NA and TT fans. I think the clutch on the TT fan is a bit strogner so it engages sooner or something.

Why dont you go with an electric fan? i m just surious bc I have the Maxima one my NA and ove how much room it freed up. I know your is a TT (or will be), and I know how much room is waisted just by that shroud and fan.

If you are woried about engine temps, you can do other things to bring the temps down a bit. Like the thermostat, High pressure radiator cap, and coolant additives.

·
Registered
443 Posts
pretty sure the turbo fan clutch is 2 speed and the na is single speed. I've read using a turbo fan clutch on a NA causes a dramatica power loss.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
electric fans have pretty much proven to be less effective in the Z's from what I've seen. Dunno why they seem to overheat more in the summer months with electric fans. . .

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
thats all I was sayin ^^^ I have no experience with them, but every time those posts come up, it seems they are more trouble than they're worth. Hence more overheating, I didn't mean to convey that they were incapable of cooling

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys for the responses, and b, i think ill just go your route and run w/o the shroud. and my buddy who has the electric fan lives by tt.net and if someone over there says its bad to use, then he follows along, not that that is a bad thing, but a while back we argued over the front mount idea too, but ballistic lives in the hottest state and if he is running one w/o problems i dont see the problem.(i guess some people just dont have as good as luck as others-lol)

ive read many of the arguements on the fans but ive seen no proof, i do now that here in nm it can get into the 100's in the summer and my buddys car takes forever to heat up and stays running cool most the time, but he hasnt really taken any trips with it= i guess we will see when we make the trip to zcon

Post Edited (Jan 26, 2:04am)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I have absolutely no problems out of mine. All I installed was the maxima electric fan and a variable thermostatic switch from Advance auto parts. I have since installed two additional fans on two other cars and they do not have any problems either.

The only problems I have run into was first the setting of the thermostat. Since it is adjustable, you have to dial in your settings. The first time I did it I had the fans temp to high and engine temp rose slightly. All i did was back the temp down and set it right where it needs to be to keep the engine happy. It is actually set tp come cooler than what it needs to. But I d rather it be that way. The other problem was when I intially wired it up. Instead of wiring the signal wire into a power source that comes on only when the key is on. I opted to go directly to the battery to save time..BAD IDEA. With temps soaring over the summer, the under hod tempsstayed pretty constant with the sun bearing down on it. Thus the fans ran nearly all day, on and off. This lead to me haveing a dead battery a few times. To remedy the problem I found apower source that feeds a 12v signal ONLY when the key is on.

I also wired in a toggle switch on the dash board toensure that the fans turn off on high cruises. You actually hurt your engines performance and cooling ability by having your fans running while running around 60+. The fans slow the air down the air passing through it.

Like anything else..to get it to work right and work efficiently. It does take time and take some money. If any other NA guys want any help about the Maxima electric fan install I can help out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.