ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car: 280z 1978

i have a pulse in my car, like the car battery gauge pulses when the car is in idle, and i do not know what it is. the fusebox gets hot but we disconnected the hot fuse (the tailights) and it still pulses, can anyone help me?

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Address that hot fuse box. I'm sure you've seen countless other posts regarding that one specific area of the Z cars.

Z cars are notoriously underwired and one of their major faults is in the fuse box. Once you start having corrosion on the fuse connectors or blowing fuses due to the corrosion on the connectors in the wire harness you are one step away from having major and I mean MAJOR problems.

Look at the posts from other people having problems with alternators, turn signals, headlight switches, tail light switches, heaters, etc etc etc. The list goes on and on, and almost in every case repairing and restoring the contacts to the fuse box helped eliminate or ameliorate some of the problems.

You already know of one circuit that's giving you trouble, could the problem with your surging be due to other circuits also having the same problem?

Take that fuse box out, clean out all the fuse contacts, make sure that they are bent back in such a way as to grip the fuse tightly. The reason Datsun used to include a fuse puller on the fuse box cover is because the fuses shouldn't be easy to pull out. Use a little bit of sand paper or get some steel wool and wrap it around a small screwdriver or toothpick and brighten up those fuse clips. Same goes for your fuses, but first check them with a meter, make sure you have continuity through the fuse, don't just visually check it, many people have reported having bad fuses even though they visually looked ok.

Well that's my 2¢ worth.

· Registered
181 Posts
I just want to back up escanlons post... I was having all kinds of wierd problems with my electricals. On these folks good advise, I took some sandpaper and cleaned all the terminals and replaced all the fuses with new ones and it fixed numerous things. Can't say I've ever seen anything like that before, but it did work!

Shayne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.