ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about H*nda performance here? As I'm getting ready to put the Z in for big time overhaul/upgrade, I'm going to be driving my 87 H*nda Accord (yeah it's a piece I know) but, before I do that I have to replace the engine in the H*nda as it's currently dead (cracked block by my friend the PO) So with this project necessary before I can go over the 240 with a fine toothed comb, I was wondering if anyone perchance could help me out with overcoming it's anemic horsepower rating (90 HP from 2.0 liters) Obviously a new exhaust and headers, K&N's etc are assumed (and that's assuming the headers are even available) I know this isn't a new C*vic or I wouldn't have to look very hard for upgrade info and looking at the H*nda sites (which for the most part are a bunch of bratty kids that just rag on other cars) I wasn't able to find much info for older honda's. Anyways, I know this whole post is sheer blasphemy, but as it will enable me to ultimately have a really cool Z, it's worth driving a H*nda for a while.

Hey at least I had the decency to censor the swear words in this post :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whoops

Sorry I let one instance of H*nda slip without censoring it. Sorry folks, I tried, Honest.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Sport Compact Car magazine

Get a copy of Sport Compact Car magazine. It has tons of vendors with Honda stuff. If there are such parts available for your 87 H*nda, then you'll find the vendor in that mag. Plus, it's a great magazine, going over engine modifications with great detail, and constant search for insane power from their project cars. The thoroughly test and report what works and what doesn't with dyno tests to back it up. They constantly push their vehicles to the breaking point, tear them apart and show and tell you what happened and why. I have learned more about squeezing more power from less volume by reading this mag than from any other source.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Zebra,
To all, I have to say this up front- I only try to help Zebra, I never think that Honda is better than our Zs. Zebra, what model do you have? Dx,Lx, or Lxi. Only the Lxi come with Fuel Inj., the other two models come with cabs and therefore not a good candidate for upgrading. According to what you've written above ( 90hp), I think you either have a Dx or Lx. If you still want to upgrade it, you can get the basic stuffs like intake, exhaust, and header ( I think Pace Setter make it) The next best item I think is NOS but stay with the basic kit and dont go over 50hp without a strong bottom end ( Honda dont make very strong short block you know) Upgraded throttle body only gives you minimal gain in power ( if you have FI.), and changing that single cam doesnot help much anyway. My advice, dont do anything, just keep it stock so you can have something to rely on on a rainy day. It is always better to start with something that is performance oriented right from the factory. You can put several thousands of dollars on that car and still get beaten by a stock turbo Z. Hope this helps.
Huy 260Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Sport Compact Car magazine - Zcars

The latest issue of sport Compact Car has a nice piece on the 240Z... 5 or 6 pages with color photos.... Cool.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: Try Pace Setter, I did.

Thanks guys, not sure it's a DX or an LX (tag on the back is missing) but it's definitely not an LX-i. I'm just looking for a little more cajones in the thing nothing major but as I said before 90 HP sucks. Don't want to spend a whole lot on it really as it's a disposable car as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.