ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '77 280Z. I've had it for about 3 years now, and its had this backfire for the whole time. I need suggestions on how to get rid of it. Just any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
same problem and car...backfires through exhaust.

> Is it backfiring through intake or exaust?

Exhaust, between shifts-Tj

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Weird, mine does too, I can't get it to stop!

I have a 77 that does the same **** thing, I've spent a lot of time tinkering with it, and it STILL does it!!! ARGH!! It backfires out the exhaust between shifts, and also when you rev it up in neutral (occasionally) If anyone knows what causes this, pleas help all three of us out!!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
check your Advance

I know a guy who blew the muffler apart on his charger because the advance in the distributer would stick on sometimes. Could it be the curve also?

Good luck- Evan

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have a '77 280Z. I've had it for about 3
> years now, and its had this backfire for the
> whole time. I need suggestions on how to get
> rid of it. Just any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I think you should check the fuel delivery system and associated components such as, hoses, pressure regulator, fuel pump, fuel pump pick-up tube, charcoal filter, and , as a last resort, pull the fuel tank off and make sure it's clean. It sounds like , from your description, the engine is being intermittently starved for fuel. Got some experience here. Don't forget the fuel pump relay system, and make certain ALL electrical connections are tight.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Check these items

> I have a 77 that does the same **** thing,
> I've spent a lot of time tinkering with it,
> and it STILL does it!!! ARGH!! It backfires
> out the exhaust between shifts, and also
> when you rev it up in neutral (occasionally)
> If anyone knows what causes this, pleas help
> all three of us out!!!

When your car backfires it is ethier timing burnt exhaust valves or to lean a mixture . I think it is most definately running to lean check throttle body boots for rips or another thing is air regulator bypass is stuck open giving too much air . I quite sure these will cure your problems .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.