ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got around to changing my front brake pads today, left side was normal, the right side was metal on metal and left my roter badly scored. So I go to my parts car and grab the front left hub(thicker than my old one) off of it. its in good shape its just got alot of surface rust. scraped all the rust off with some mesh sand paper stuff you use on dry wall. Put it all back together and took a ride to test it. at first it pulls the the right(the side I changed the rotor on) when braking. after I drive it a while it starts pulling to the left hard during normal braking. Ask my dad about it he says it'll go away after all the rust and stuff gets worn off the rotor. I done a brake test(hit the brakes hard going about 30) and my left front locked up and the rest didnt.

Will driving it make it go away? or should I do something else? and will the pads be alright?(guess its alright if there not, gota life time waranty)

Justin T

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I would STRONGLY recommend and suggest that you take the rotors to a local machine shop and have them turned. Yes, eventually the rust will wear off....ONTO your pads. Now you'll be heating the pads with the impregnated metal and cause premature failure. Additionally, by having the rotor faces turned, you'll have a smooth uniform contact surface that will prevent lockups due to irregularities as well as overheating due to intermittent contact.

The fact that one side locks up and the other doesn't tells me that you might need to bleed the system.

Brakes is one area where unless you know what you're doing, you're literally gambling with your life as well as the innocent bystander that gets to stop you.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Did you use silicone break grease on the surfaces indicated in your FSM?

Did you clean and re-grease the caliper pins?

Wayne Monteath

·
Registered
664 Posts
Justin,
Usually when you have that much uneven wear between the sides, to me it would indicate a frozen caliper on the right side.Also sometimes if the wheel bearings are tighter on one side than the other, this could cause a pull also. But it sounds like brake problem.
Ron

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well.....

I've drove it 50 miles or so and still no change. took the brakes back apart and I found the problem. at the edge of the rotor theres lip and the top of the brake pad it catching it not grabing the rotor properly. So I guess I'm going to have it turned. which is what I wanted to do in the first place but my dad talked me out of it.

Justin T

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Re: Maybe..

You could remove the "lip" of metal with a file held against the rotor and wedged on the caliper while turning the rotor. Not great, but it may avoid doing the whole job over. BTDT.

But, as previously stated, brakes are not a place to cut corners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.