ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started tuning the Z. I brought it to 9 psi, and hit my 6250 rev limiter everytime!.(so I changed it to 6500!) I dont even realize I am revving that high!! The engine breathes up top effortlessly!!! The Cam gears set at -3 do sort of kill lower rpms power, but at about 4500-6500 this engine is a Beast. This is a very rev happy engine now. Before, as you all know the VG30 seemed to run out of steam @ 4800-5200, and it was time to shift. I just want to keep reving it now!! I guess those stronger valve springs are in order now, so 7000rpms will be possible without floating the valves. I am working on getting tuned to about 14-15 psi, then I will Go out with a camera, and vidoetape like you all want.

Post Edited (Sep 27, 7:42am)

·
Registered
364 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHHAH....YYYEEESSSSSS!!!!!! Glad its working out for yah man. So when you starting on my intake? ...heheheh. Have a blast smoking the sh!t out of Porsches, BMW's and Corvettes.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Congrats man! You pulled it off wondefully! I was looking forward to seeing the beast at the Gateway Z show - hopefully we will see you when they reschedule! I would LOVE to have a video of a few runs. Perhaps just a video where you burn a perfect 360 degree circle for a couple of minutes. LOL :). Awesome!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Im using the JWT valve springs which were $139 they work really good and JWT said there were good too 7300rpms. He told me thats the valve springs that they sell for all there camshafts, so it should be good even when you think its time for a little more duration.

·
Registered
958 Posts
lol. you missed it. We wanted the first rev up on camera. *tear* to cherish the memories forever.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yeah, I'd believe it. I can just imagine how excited you wee when you first fired it up. I helped my Brother with a motor swap into his 240SX, even though it was one SR for another, he was crazy excited. Unfortunately, that motor had some problems as well. ANYWAYS, he'll be getting it back from the shop around Friday.

·
Registered
353 Posts
cool !! sounds awesome , i read somewhere the bottom end could handle something like 10,000 rpm tho it sounds outrageous , but i wonder what those nissan race cars they made back in the 80's cut out at?and if they used the same engine? , anyway i hope you are going to make more of those intakes, if you dont feel like going thru all the hassle, maybe you should do like a write up or something on what you will need , i am pretty interested on one of those intakes or something like that, what about extrude honing does anybody know if that is expensive?, even tho the stock intake input is kind of in a wrong place (right on top of the exhaust crossover pipe).

anyway good luck with that beast , and i am too expecting a video no excuses!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
ohh also if you are going to change the springs , you know the head will have to come off soo hey why dont you do some head work?, valve job and a little porting if you dont want to change your jdm cams( if you do i would buy them for a reasonable price), im sure this has already gone thru your head but if i were you id definetly go for it since you practically are already going all out with this project.

also i still have my heads off and when i was looking at the ports i noticed the exhaust was alot smaller than the exhaust manifold and the port does this twisty motion so i kind of took that out and made the port almost straight (dont think itll hurt) and i didnt do the intake side because i did some reading and figured that i would probably end up doing it wrong some how so i think ill just wait until i have money later on and get it professionally done by somebody that knows enough about head porting(flow efficiency and all that junk), i just thought hey you get for what you paid for. hope the best for your darth vader mobile

·
Registered
76 Posts
"Before, as you all know the VG30 seemed to run out of steam @ 4800-5200"

your car was broken and is now fixed. everyone elses car run fine well past that range.

anyone shifting at 5000 rpm is just TRYING to accelerate slowly.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
"your car was broken and is now fixed. everyone elses car run fine well past that range.

anyone shifting at 5000 rpm is just TRYING to accelerate slowly."

thats not true. stock, the cars peak torque is at 3600RPM and peak power is at 5200RPM. After 5200RPMs the torque has already dropped off very significantly and the HP drops pretty quick too because of the way the engine breathes.. My car will make it all the way to 6500 if i let it, but it accelerates fastest if i shift right at 5200. Turbos may be different (i don't have one i don't know) but this is definitely the case for an n/a, and since 88hybrid had an n/a before this project, his statement would seem to make perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Dyno from my 88SS.

·
Registered
353 Posts
yup its true i have a turbo and i never redline because it takes long to get from 5500 to 6500 i normally shift around 6000 if i am pushing it, also i have never revved my engine hard enough for the rpm to cut off (scared something will break), maybe i will now that i change my timing belt

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.