ZCar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would post here before going to Craigslist but you'll have to endure my short little story.

I've always loved the 280z and wanted one for the longest time. So when my son expressed an interest in getting a project car, I thought "what a great bonding experience". 3 years later and way too much money down the tubes, I never want to see a 280z again.

What I've got: A mostly complete '77 280z that almost runs. All the parts are there plus an extra engine/transmission, entire set of extra glass, entire set of extra front fenders, extra rear hatch, extra hood, extra dash with instruments, extra seats ... you get the idea: the leftovers from my parts car.

What's been done:
Previous owner sanded the car and primed it so it is a lovely shade of primer and black. No major rust patches that I could find but it is not perfect.
New Exhaust
New carpet kit
New Distributor assembly
New Alternator
New Radiator
New TPS
New Injectors
New Injector wiring
Rebuilt starter
New Brake master Cylinder
New Brake Vacuum Pump
New Clutch/Machined Flywheel
New Clutch Master Cylinder
New Clutch Slave Cylinder
New Rear Brake pads
New Rear Brake Cylinders
Gas Tank Removed, Cleaned, Sealed
Probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

The problem: Can't get it to accelerate. It sputters and wants to die. Have tested and swapped ECU and various other suggestions to no avail. I would be a great project to someone with the time and mechanical no how to trouble shoot, but I don't have the room, time, or inclination. Or plenty of parts for a parts car.

Asking $1250. Is licensed and has a clear title, just want someone to come take it and all the extra parts away. I will post more pictures later. PM me if you are interested. It is located in North Central Washington.

UPDATE:
New fan clutch
New water pump

Some more clarifications that were spurred by PM's.
Dash is clean with no cracks and no pad. Second dash has some minor cracking. It has seat covers as the original seats have the expected wear and tear of it age. Not falling apart but there are tears. Spare set of seats is about the same. The only major rust issue was directly under the battery that was cut out and fiber-glassed by previous owner. Back hatch has spots in the corners that at one time had louver mounts that were poorly filled. Back glass has new seal and I have the seal for front windshield and hatch channel. Door weatherstripping is original and suspension is what you'd expect for a car almost 40 years old. All locks and latches come with the car as do the louvers on the hood and the check engine panels. They just aren't on the car right now. Even though everything isn't on the car, I believe it to be complete including badges.

I'm not nuts about the way the exhaust was installed but it is new and does NOT have a catalytic converter. Much of the EGR was removed because it was not functioning and I couldn't find replacement parts. This car MAY not pass emissions as is.

I'm including as many pictures as I could think of. Let me know if you want to see something that I haven't included and I will try to put a picture up in a timely fashion.

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
Thought I would post here before going to Craigslist but you'll have to endure my short little story.

I've always loved the 280z and wanted one for the longest time. So when my son expressed an interest in getting a project car, I thought "what a great bonding experience". 3 years later and way too much money down the tubes, I never want to see a 280z again.

What I've got: A mostly complete '77 280z that almost runs. All the parts are there plus an extra engine/transmission, entire set of extra glass, entire set of extra front fenders, extra rear hatch, extra hood, extra dash with instruments, extra seats ... you get the idea: the leftovers from my parts car.

What's been done:
Previous owner sanded the car and primed it so it is a lovely shade of primer and black. No major rust patches that I could find but it is not perfect.
New Exhaust
New carpet kit
New Distributor assembly
New Alternator
New Radiator
New TPS
New Injectors
New Injector wiring
Rebuilt starter
New Brake Vacuum Pump
New Rear Brake pads
New Rear Brake Cylinders

The problem: Can't get it to accelerate. It sputters and wants to die. Have tested and swapped ECU and various other suggestions to no avail. I would be a great project to someone with the time and mechanical no how to trouble shoot, but I don't have the room, time, or inclination. Or plenty of parts for a parts car.

Asking $1250. Is licensed and has a clear title, just want someone to come take it and all the extra parts away. I will post pictures later. PM me if you are interested. It is located in North Central Washington.
Pics to [email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
More pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sold

This car is now sold and gone. I was a little sad to see it go but hopefully the new owner will be able to finish the restore.

·
Registered
8 Posts

What's been done:
New Exhaust
New carpet kit
New Distributor assembly
New Alternator
New Radiator
New TPS
New Injectors
New Injector wiring
Rebuilt starter
New Brake Vacuum Pump
New Rear Brake pads
New Rear Brake Cylinders

Asking $1250. Is licensed and has a clear title, just want someone to come take it and all the extra parts away. I will post more pictures later. PM me if you are interested. It is located in North Central Washington.

UPDATE:
New fan clutch
New water pump

Dash is clean with no cracks and no pad. Second dash has some minor cracking. It has seat covers as the original seats have the expected wear and tear of it age. Not falling apart but there are tears. Spare set of seats is about the same. The only major rust issue was directly under the battery that was cut out and fiber-glassed by previous owner. Back hatch has spots in the corners that at one time had louver mounts that were poorly filled. Back glass has new seal and I have the seal for front windshield and hatch channel. Door weatherstripping is original and suspension is what you'd expect for a car almost 40 years old. All locks and latches come with the car as do the louvers on the hood and the check engine panels. They just aren't on the car right now. Even though everything isn't on the car, I believe it to be complete including badges.

I'm not nuts about the way the exhaust was installed but it is new and does NOT have a catalytic converter. Much of the EGR was removed because it was not functioning and I couldn't find replacement parts. This car MAY not pass emissions as is.

I'm including as many pictures as I could think of. Let me know if you want to see something that I haven't included and I will try to put a picture up in a timely fashion.
Sounds like a fuel filter , or the air flow meter. Try that before you sell it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if this question is way out of date. I am interested in the car if you haven't sold it. Please email me or message me here. [email protected] I am in Southeastern TN 6o miles north of Chattanooga.

·
Registered
8 Posts

What's been done:
New Exhaust
New carpet kit
New Distributor assembly
New Alternator
New Radiator
New TPS
New Injectors
New Injector wiring
Rebuilt starter
New Brake Vacuum Pump
New Rear Brake pads
New Rear Brake Cylinders

UPDATE:
New fan clutch
New water pump

If you still have the car, let me know. I am interested.

·
Registered
997 Posts
email sent

·
Registered
499 Posts
Read carefully fellas, he sold the car back on 5-12. That was a heckuva steal for somebody. Reminds me of how I scored my 260z for $2,000. A buddy of mine was attempting a restore and finally got sick of it one day and wanted it out of his sight!

:surprise

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same story but I'm just too old and tired to finish my yellow 77. It was running and my daily driver when I decided to take it apart for new paint. That was almost 8 years ago and it has been in the car hauler ever since. I too have lots of spares. Transmission and engine have been rebuilt. It has a set of new Panasports, new fenders, complete rubber seal set, stainless steel bold set, and lots more. I will entertain a reasonable offer. I am in central Alabama..

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I have the same story but I'm just too old and tired to finish my yellow 77. It was running and my daily driver when I decided to take it apart for new paint. That was almost 8 years ago and it has been in the car hauler ever since. I too have lots of spares. Transmission and engine have been rebuilt. It has a set of new Panasports, new fenders, complete rubber seal set, stainless steel bold set, and lots more. I will entertain a reasonable offer. I am in central Alabama..
Can we see some pictures or you can send the pix to [email protected]
Thanks

·
Registered
997 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts