ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm putting gas in my car, sometimes it stops for no reason and it's not even close to full tank. Is there something wrong with that? Also sometimes when I start it or when it's ready to die, I don't hear the air coming out of the exhaust. It's like its staying in the engine. I know there has to be something wrong here! Could it be the hole on my header gasket? And when it is dead, I pump the **** out of the gas and barely any makes it to the filter and then goes back down. Can anyone explain any of these problems? Thanks.

Wes

·
Registered
432 Posts
> When I'm putting gas in my car, sometimes it
> stops for no reason and it's not even close
> to full tank. Is there something wrong with
> that? Also sometimes when I start it or when
> it's ready to die, I don't hear the air
> coming out of the exhaust. It's like its
> staying in the engine. I know there has to
> be something wrong here! Could it be the
> hole on my header gasket? And when it is
> dead, I pump the **** out of the gas and
> barely any makes it to the filter and then
> goes back down. Can anyone explain any of
> these problems? Thanks.

> Wes

Hi, Wes

tell me again what year your car is and if it is fuel-injected. do you always fill up your tank at the same pump/gas station? shutting off early is usually just the fault of the pumps handle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'73 240Z

I usually go to Chevron or 76, but once in a while I go to Exxon or Arco. And it happens about half the time (sometimes it doesn't stop pumping). I think my other post is still on the bottom about my fuel pump. Do you think you can check that one out too? Thanks.

Wes

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Been there!

You are having pressure problems within your gas tank. I had much of the same thing when I originally went from carbs to fuel injection. If you are unable to fill you tank that is because your vent hoses are no longer there or not working. When you put fuel into the tank, air has to come out to make room for the fuel. The top of the tank must be properly vented to avoid this. The pressure will also affect the performance of your engine. It can either cause positive pressure on the tank, too much fuel. Or negative pressure, pump can't get the fuel to the carbs. I would check all the vent hose and make sure they are there and working properly. You can always do what I did, change to a 16 gallon fuel cell with sump and race foam. It will definetly solve your problems.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do I check ...

If the hoses are still good? And do you know where they are located at? I don't really want to change the tank to fix it. Thanks.

Wes

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My haynes repair manual says...

Under fault diagnosis. Insufficient fuel delivery or weak mixture due to air leaks:
Reasons----Fuel tank relief valve stuck closed.
Remedy-----Release or renew cap.

But where is it? I see a picture, but nothing surrounding it. I checked the vent hoses. They seemed to be fine. No signs of cracks or being worn out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.